URL : http://forum.artscow.com/ShowPost.aspx?ThreadId=30985
Need measurements for 8x8 photobook safe zones Post By Gayle - 5/2/2009 10:49:33
Hi,
I am new to Artscow, and want to do an 8x8 book. I cannot use the templates provided as I don't have Photoshop. In my Fotofusion software, I can set the canvas size, safe zone, etc. I know the sizes of the canvas setting for the pages, covers, and spine, but I have found no where on this forum (been looking now for 2 days). I've looked at the jpgs and have seen the 'gray' zones, but I need to know what these measurement are in inches so I can set up my pages, covers, and spine. Anyone know? The 'safe zone' in my pages have to be correct since I have several collages that must fit perfectly without going into the 'gray area'. But, I do need the measurements.

Thanks so much!
Gayle in GA
RE:Need measurements for 8x8 photobook safe zones Post By ScrapMojo - 5/2/2009 20:09:03
This may or may not help... but sorry its all I can give

http://forum.artscow.com/ShowPost.aspx?ThreadId=10340
RE:RE:Need measurements for 8x8 photobook safe zones Post By Gayle - 6/2/2009 13:38:03
>This may or may not help... but sorry its all I can give
>
>
>http://forum.artscow.com/ShowPost.aspx?ThreadId=10340

Thanks so much. I've already seen this post, but there is no mention of what the measurements for the safe zones are. It was nice however, to refresh myself with the information in the link. Shutterfly (I done photobooks there.) gives in details these measurement for their books, I only assumed that this site would also. If not, then this should be included to improve customer support.

BTW, I took the examples posted of the sample pages showing the safe and gray areas and put them into a photo editor. The results showed the safe area is actually a tad less than 7.75x7.75. Also, the safe area for the front cover is a different measurement than the back cover. The front and the spine are the same with the back cover being different. I wonder if this is really supposed to be this way. .OR if there is an error in the samples given. Right now it seems as if it's a 'hit or miss' from what I'm read on this forum.

The templates that Artscow posted on this forum for a guide are actually worthless for telling anyone what the safe zone sizes are for pages, covers, and spine. The templates I downloaded only were of the full page sizes and do not include the actual safe zone. All things outside the safe zone could be cut off. My pages need to be precise.

When one is loading the photos and then previews. .are the previews 'what you see is what you get'? Anyone know?

Thanks again for your response. Maybe someone else will know more specifics. Is there a way to ask a question other than this forum? I will look and see.

RE:Need measurements for 8x8 photobook safe zones Post By Sharon - 6/2/2009 21:29:34
Actually the templates I downloaded from here do have the safe and bleed areas outlined.
This is a photoshop file and you can only see the lines in photoshop.
I don't use photoshop very much, my preferred program is paint shop pro. So I took the temps into photo shop and made my own templates to match theirs in layers so they would work in paint shop pro.
RE:RE:RE:Need measurements for 8x8 photobook safe zones Post By Daniel - 7/2/2009 11:56:49
hi Gayle,

Sorry about that.

We will try our best to add more instructions and guideline in 2009. As you can see in our website, there are no such documents at all.

If you fit all grey area, and the preview will be 98% as what you see will be what you get. That preview will be used for production.

You can learn from some of our default themes, especially the front cover and back cover.

We also offer free photo book review request for all members, to make sure all photo books before order, we can review for you, and let you know if it is perfect or not, thanks.

You can post review request here.

>>This may or may not help... but sorry its all I can give
>>
>>
>>http://forum.artscow.com/ShowPost.aspx?ThreadId=10340
>
>Thanks so much. I've already seen this post, but there is no mention of what the measurements for the safe zones are. It was nice however, to refresh myself with the information in the link. Shutterfly (I done photobooks there.) gives in details these measurement for their books, I only assumed that this site would also. If not, then this should be included to improve customer support.
>
>BTW, I took the examples posted of the sample pages showing the safe and gray areas and put them into a photo editor. The results showed the safe area is actually a tad less than 7.75x7.75. Also, the safe area for the front cover is a different measurement than the back cover. The front and the spine are the same with the back cover being different. I wonder if this is really supposed to be this way. .OR if there is an error in the samples given. Right now it seems as if it's a 'hit or miss' from what I'm read on this forum.
>
>The templates that Artscow posted on this forum for a guide are actually worthless for telling anyone what the safe zone sizes are for pages, covers, and spine. The templates I downloaded only were of the full page sizes and do not include the actual safe zone. All things outside the safe zone could be cut off. My pages need to be precise.
>
>When one is loading the photos and then previews. .are the previews 'what you see is what you get'? Anyone know?
>
>Thanks again for your response. Maybe someone else will know more specifics. Is there a way to ask a question other than this forum? I will look and see.
>
>
RE:RE:RE:Need measurements for 8x8 photobook safe zones Post By Berry - 7/2/2009 11:58:00
hi Gayle,

Sorry about that.

We will try our best to add more instructions and guideline in 2009. As you can see in our website, there are no such documents at all.

If you fit all grey area, and the preview will be 98% as what you see will be what you get. That preview will be used for production.

You can learn from some of our default themes, especially the front cover and back cover.

We also offer free photo book review request for all members, to make sure all photo books before order, we can review for you, and let you know if it is perfect or not, thanks.

You can post review request here.

For technical problems, you'd better post here, some of our members are very professional, they will help you a lot, and our programmers and me will also monitor this forum. Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------
Berry
ArtsCow.com
RE:RE:Need measurements for 8x8 photobook safe zones Post By Gayle - 12/2/2009 13:46:23
>Actually the templates I downloaded from here do have the safe and bleed areas outlined.
>This is a photoshop file and you can only see the lines in photoshop.
>I don't use photoshop very much, my preferred program is paint shop pro. So I took the temps into photo shop and made my own templates to match theirs in layers so they would work in paint shop pro.
>
Sharon, is there any way that PSP gives you the measurements for those safe zones. I did convert those PDS files into PNG for my software, but it still does not show the lines. My Fotofusion software does not read PSD files. So, I took the .jpgs posted along with the templates, took it into my photo editor and measured the pixels to determine the safe zones. I just wonder if your's would be the same. When I download my pages into my book, it appears that some of my layout may be cut off where I don't want it to be. Of course, I created full bleed pages. Thanks so much for you or anyone for guidance.