URL : http://forum.artscow.com/ShowPost.aspx?ThreadId=38631
1 photo across 2 page spread? The post below didn't help me. Post By Kirsten - 18/7/2009 0:06:15
Has anyone tried this? I have it set up in a 20-pg. book, turned 31. It lines up nicely in preview mode, and is set FAR apart in the design mode.

According to the post below mine, I'm thinking for 31 pages, I should have it lined up more closely in the design mode because not much image is lost in the gutter. When I do this, it will look very off in the preview mode.

I'm so confused!

Ruby said they cannot guarantee a line-up, but I just want to be as close as possible. Should I trust preview mode versus the designer?

What do you think? Any advice?
RE:1 photo across 2 page spread? The post below didn't help me. Post By Alana - 18/7/2009 1:23:08
I need to edit my answer to the other post you are referring to.
Ruby is right, Artscow cannot guarantee two pages to align perfectly.

I just received my 100 page book and an altogether different issue ruined my pages. One page had kicked completely out of alignment such that a portion of the page which was INSIDE the bleed printed off the page. I will complain to Artscow about this, however I knew better. I know that in professional printing there is a safety line which should be allowed for within the bleed and cut line since the pages move around in the printer. Plus, the pages which end up adjacent in the book are not printed on the same sheet.

I'm so sorry for my erroneous answer. If the books were being hand-done, it would be possible to align photos from one page to another. Since the printing process is automatic, there is no way to guarantee that pages will align. :( I will go hang my head in shame in my previous post. Thank you for posting.
RE:RE:1 photo across 2 page spread? The post below didn't help me. Post By Kirsten - 18/7/2009 4:56:01
Alana, what do you mean it printed off the page? I don't understand that. Also, when you say "inside the bleed" do you mean inside the gray area? Sorry for my confusion. Do you have any pics?
And don't beat yourself up, we are all just trying to work with this software :)

>I need to edit my answer to the other post you are referring to.
>Ruby is right, Artscow cannot guarantee two pages to align perfectly.
>
>I just received my 100 page book and an altogether different issue ruined my pages. One page had kicked completely out of alignment such that a portion of the page which was INSIDE the bleed printed off the page. I will complain to Artscow about this, however I knew better. I know that in professional printing there is a safety line which should be allowed for within the bleed and cut line since the pages move around in the printer. Plus, the pages which end up adjacent in the book are not printed on the same sheet.
>
>I'm so sorry for my erroneous answer. If the books were being hand-done, it would be possible to align photos from one page to another. Since the printing process is automatic, there is no way to guarantee that pages will align. :( I will go hang my head in shame in my previous post. Thank you for posting.
RE:RE:RE:1 photo across 2 page spread? The post below didn't help me. Post By Alana - 18/7/2009 5:18:06
>Alana, what do you mean it printed off the page? I don't understand that. Also, when you say "inside the bleed" do you mean inside the gray area? Sorry for my confusion. Do you have any pics?
>And don't beat yourself up, we are all just trying to work with this software :)
>

Here is what my design looked like in Silverlight:

Here is the way it actually printed:

Here is the way it should have printed (this is just another page where the design didn't come quite so close to the edge of hte page)

The same could hold true in any direction of the page, up, down, right or left. It's inherent to the nature of the printing process.

Does that make any sense? It doesn't help you any w/ aligning images across pages; now it's just a lesson of keeping your images from getting cut-off.

I hope I didn't end up confusing more. :{
RE:RE:RE:RE:1 photo across 2 page spread? The post below didn't help me. Post By Kirsten - 18/7/2009 8:55:35
No, you didn't confuse me anymore; it makes sense! That should not have happened to your book. But, now I see to leave plenty of room around the outside edges. I think I'm going to give it a go with my 2-page spread as it's not an important book. If I don't like it, I'll just never do those type of pages w/ artscow. You just can't beat the prices here! Thanks for your help.