Previous Topic | Next Topic

Add to Favorite Print
Page 1 of 1, Total 13 1
AuthorPosts

ERUM
TotalPost:2
Newbie: Photobook Help Reply

Hello Everyone

This is my first time attempting to make a photobook from arts cow and I'm not sure how to get started.

Do most people use the artscow software or adobe?

If you use adobe illustrator/photoshop how do you upload it to artscow? Also what file type do you save the pages at?

Thanks in advance!

e
26/9/2009 2:17:54

Casharina
TotalPost:15
RE:Newbie: Photobook Help Reply

>Hello Everyone
    >
    >This is my first time attempting to make a photobook from arts cow and I'm not sure how to get started.
    >
    >Do most people use the artscow software or adobe?
    >
    >If you use adobe illustrator/photoshop how do you upload it to artscow? Also what file type do you save the pages at?
    >
    >Thanks in advance!
    >
    >e

If you use Photoshop or anyother program you just save your layout as a JPEG (picture) file with high quality. HTH
4/10/2009 9:08:39

Alana
TotalPost:2347
RE:RE:Newbie: Photobook Help Reply

I personally like to use Photoshop because it is a lot easier, for me, to do the layout and make changes. Artscow's software does not have rulers, snaps or grids, any image enhancement features, it's more difficult to scale and rotate photos,... Then I just have to upload the page as a whole and can drop them in place in the order in which I want the pages in. It is also to switch to different products if I wish, i.e. from a photobook to a calendar.

Be sure when you are designing to allow an extra 1/4" on all sides bleed if you have an image which reaches the edge of the page, and allow a 1/4" border inside the page edge safety line as items may get cut-off. It's also best to design/save designs at a resolution of 300 as that is the size the photobooks are designed for.
4/10/2009 9:45:08

myphotos
TotalPost:505

I would use the ArtsCow software, unless you are very versed in pro layout and printing. I've seen people who've used other image editing software have covers messed up (printed half off the page) or other things. ArtsCow software couldn't be easier, and has a nice variety. It's faster than finding kits/elements elsewhere, laying out designs, testing print settings, checking colors, then uploading.
12/10/2009 6:49:12

Alana
RE:RE:Newbie: Photobook Help Reply

>I've seen people who've used other image editing software have covers messed up (printed half off the page) or other things.

I saw you make this statement before and I can't figure out for the life of me what this would have to do with a jpg uploaded from my camera or a jpeg saved in Photoshop. Or a jpeg or png designed in Photoshop and uploaded as a Kit and then acquired through Artscow vs one I did for my own personal use. There is absolutely no difference unless you don't know how to size a file in your drawing program of choice. If you know how to use your own drawing program, then I would ALMOST always recommend using it and then uploading your final page as a jpg or png file. I always add an extra 1/2" to my page size to allow for 1/4" border on all sides.

The Photobook Designer provided on Artscow does not allow you to edit your photos in terms of lightness/darkness, red eye, flip horiz/vert. It does not allow you to align perfectly, use a grid or rulers. I cannot get it to let me rotate to the exact degree I want to and several other items such as this. The capabilities are limited.

HOWEVER, if you just want to throw together a quick and dirty photo book, Artscow's Photobook Designer will suit you just fine. It is only for those who wish to take more of a design approach whom I would recommend using a personal photo editing program. And I like that the scope of free kits on the internet is so broad, and once you learn how to search, or find your favorite sites with your style of designers, it's easy to find just what you are looking for to use in your own personalized book.

Don't get me wrong though, there are a number of talented designers offering their kits here on Artscow, and I would snap their kits up if I were able to use them outside of Artscow as well. I just don't like being limited to only being able to use them here.

Hope this helps show that it's different strokes for different folks. It's all a matter of preference.
12/10/2009 7:05:00

myphotos
TotalPost:505
RE:RE:RE:Newbie: Photobook Help Reply

That's not what could glitch it up. It's about how the software here detects border boundaries, and that the cover background tends to be "zoomed in"/expanded upon running through the print press.

You can edit an individual photo all you want offline-- color correcting, whatever, and put it in a kit cover and it stays put. The software tends to drop off some cover backgrounds across the board, kit or not.. but when you use cover titles and center photos, the software seems to not push them over the edge.

Uploading a full page layout saved offline isn't set as "solidly" as kits in the software.
    If you look at who it messed up on, nearly (if not all) of them did their designs offline. The "full page image" they uploaded got pushed over and the Artscow software couldn't determine the boundaries since it's solid.

I've tested it out and found this happen in the preview-- ArtsCow preview won't push off kits I use near the edge nearly as much (the background image can skew off the cover, but the title text won't). Even if the background extends out itself in preview/print, the title text and center photo typically don't half as much (if any). It doesn't matter about being careful when designing offline, etc... the ArtsCow software/printer settings expand the cover background image (which, if you drop in a designed page as a jpeg, means that it extends over the cover and gets chopped off). Therefore, people's fully designed "page" gets extended over the edge and chopped off.

If the settings on the printer and software didn't change A THING here or budge by even a pixel (which they do, namely the cover backgrounds), then you could design with whatever you wanted without worry, offline or online, but that's not the case. Some other printers, namely pro, don't budge an image at all or attempt to fill out the cover background-- if we were talking about those services, then by all means, design offline. Offline yields far more flexibility, but we're talking ArtsCow software/printer settings. So, kits here are typically the safest.

I'm biased towards kits/themes because they're quick, but also because this site knows how to print them better without dodging/pushing jpegs off the edge. On pro sites for years, I've run plenty of truly designed items through and never had the print offset dodge by a pixel. It does here, therefore kits are the safest bet-- unless you design offline and stay far, far away (at least 200 pixels) away from the book edges... then printer offsets wouldn't throw your page off the edge. The problem here isn't design skill-- it's how far the printer throws an image (either by zoom or offset) when running through the press. If you don't know the exact specs and if it doesn't offset consistently, you can't adequately guess what dimensions to design based on.. unless you simply stay far, far from the edges and let it run through like that so offsetting doesn't impact the design.

There was a post last year about how to not have cropped pages, too, which could help some: http://forum.artscow.com/ShowPost.aspx?ThreadId=10340

>
    >I saw you make this statement before and I can't figure out for the life of me what this would have to do with a jpg uploaded from my camera or a jpeg saved ...
    >
16/10/2009 10:55:25

Alana
RE:RE:RE:RE:Newbie: Photobook Help Reply

Disregarding the quantity & variable conditions req'd for testing, What about QP's?
16/10/2009 11:07:38

Wei Yun Chang
TotalPost:8

>Hello Everyone
    >
    >This is my first time attempting to make a photobook from arts cow and I'm not sure how to get started.
    >
    >Do most people use the artscow software or adobe?
    >
    >If you use adobe illustrator/photoshop how do you upload it to artscow? Also what file type do you save the pages at?
    >
    >Thanks in advance!
    >
    >e

I'm new to Artscow too, I found that the software in creating the photobook is kind of hard to use, even though have some pre-made kit template but if trying to create own layout, quite hard to design a desirable page.

I've have some experience in other photobook softwares and all of them are much easier to use.

Kind of get frustrated half way creating the photobook and gave up, although lots of freebie available, maybe will try other products which require less complicated design :P
17/10/2009 10:11:05

vivian
TotalPost:7

So, now I'm nervous again about having Artscow print my books. I'm making a digital scrapbook in PSCS3... I'm already nervous about using a new company and now I have to worry about the possibility of my covers coming out skewed, if I'm reading some of these posts correctly? I've already done far too much work to change anything so what suggestions are out there to prevent this from happening. When I'm done there is a possibility of needing up to 20 12x12 books. Also, if 10 mb/mg's (I'm sorry I forgot which) is the limit and my page is over that, even if it is set to 300 dpi, what do I do? This is so frustrating.

Thanks for any help.
11/11/2009 10:03:19

DeniseAck
TotalPost:80
Attn:Vivian Reply

>So, now I'm nervous again about having Artscow print my books. I'm making a digital scrapbook in PSCS3... I'm already nervous about using a new company and now I have to worry about the possibility of my covers coming out skewed, if I'm reading some of these posts correctly? I've already done far too much work to change anything so what suggestions are out there to prevent this from happening. When I'm done there is a possibility of needing up to 20 12x12 books. Also, if 10 mb/mg's (I'm sorry I forgot which) is the limit and my page is over that, even if it is set to 300 dpi, what do I do? This is so frustrating.

Vivian-- look at the info I just posted here http://forum.artscow.com/ShowPost.aspx?ThreadId=45351 I just printed 19 books last night for my daughter's cheer team. I'm not sure about any 10mb limit for file import, since the cover files I uploaded (and yelled at) were all 10.2-10.8 MB and they all uploaded fine. I made that file in PSE that wrapped over the front and back covers and spine and imported as a jpeg (Won't do that again) The interior pages were all about 2.5-3 MB files that I made in Creative Memories software and exported as jpegs. My camera is a 10.2 MegaPixel DSLR. I've done 6 other books with ArtsCow and the system works great if you follow my advice from the link above. The only issues I could gripe about is that it prints darker than what's on my screen. However, that's normal across most photobook companies. If your photo subject is shadowed, be sure to lighten it more than you think you should. Otherwise the faces can come out too dark. I've not experienced any redness or splotches as others have mentioned previously. Keep your fingers crossed for me that the books come on time and look good! Here's my book http://www.artscow.com/share/i2cvuapm2ftg
12/11/2009 5:55:08

vivian
RE:Attn:Vivian Reply

>
    >Vivian-- look at the info I just posted here http://forum.artscow.com/ShowPost.aspx?ThreadId=45351 I just printed 19 books last night for my daughter's cheer team. I'm not sure about any 10mb limit for file import, since the cover files I uploaded (and yelled at) were all 10.2-10.8 MB and they all uploaded fine. I made that file in PSE that wrapped over the front and back covers and spine and imported as a jpeg (Won't do that again) The interior pages were all about 2.5-3 MB files that I made in Creative Memories software and exported as jpegs. My camera is a 10.2 MegaPixel DSLR. I've done 6 other books with ArtsCow and the system works great if you follow my advice from the link above. The only issues I could gripe about is that it prints darker than what's on my screen. However, that's normal across most photobook companies. If your photo subject is shadowed, be sure to lighten it more than you think you should. Otherwise the faces can come out too dark. I've not experienced any redness or splotches as others have mentioned previously. Keep your fingers crossed for me that the books come on time and look good! Here's my book http://www.artscow.com/share/i2cvuapm2ftg

Denise...Thank you for the info.I looked at your book...it's amazing, looks really great. I esp. love that photo. on p.2 the b/w with the color one coming out sideways. I do know that all my interior pages are at least 10MB, some going as high as 12...even though I set the canvas for 300DPI

Fingers crossed for you! I hope they look as great as they look on screen.
13/11/2009 2:45:53

DeniseAck
TotalPost:80
RE:RE:Attn:Vivian Reply

>Denise...Thank you for the info.I looked at your book...it's amazing, looks really great. I esp. love that photo. on p.2 the b/w with the color one coming out sideways. I do know that all my interior pages are at least 10MB, some going as high as 12...even though I set the canvas for 300DPI
    >
    >Fingers crossed for you! I hope they look as great as they look on screen.

Thanks! The effect on p2 is a free action for Photoshop from PanosFX called "out of bounds" Here's the link--lots of free great stuff!http://www.panosfx.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=42&Itemid=57 That's my daughter's page--of course I had to make her page the coolest.
14/11/2009 3:05:23

vivian
RE:RE:RE:Attn:Vivian Reply

>>Denise...Thank you for the info.I looked at your book...it's amazing, looks really great. I esp. love that photo. on p.2 the b/w with the color one coming out sideways. I do know that all my interior pages are at least 10MB, some going as high as 12...even though I set the canvas for 300DPI
    >>
    >>Fingers crossed for you! I hope they look as great as they look on screen.

>
    >Thanks! The effect on p2 is a free action for Photoshop from PanosFX called "out of bounds" Here's the link--lots of free great stuff!http://www.panosfx.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=42&Itemid=57 That's my daughter's page--of course I had to make her page the coolest.

Denise...... on daughter's page. I'm the same way. Thank you for that great website link. I'm so excited to really check it out.
15/11/2009 2:59:02
Page 1 of 1, Total 13 1