Previous Topic | Next Topic

Add to Favorite Print
Page 1 of 1, Total 5 1
AuthorPosts

Michelle Kelly
TotalPost:26
Convince me to order..... Reply

Hi:
    I was very excited to find this site because of the scrapbook kits. I've literally spent hours putting together a 12x12 album. I'm up to about 60 pages but it will be bigger. I was on a photography site and they said if you wanted a great book not to use Artscow. This was only one review but it made me nervous as the price here is the same as some of the sites they listed as superior.

Would you try a smaller book first? Does anyone know a good promo code to try a large book?

I'm going to submit my book for review before I order it to make sure everything looks okay. Any suggestions from experienced photo book makers?

Thanks.
    Michelle
7/2/2011 10:15:01

Bobbie
TotalPost:126
RE:Convince me to order..... Reply

I've never purchased a 12x12. That size with so many pages is over my budget. I do make all of my scrapbooking pages 12x12 and then upload them to an 8x8. There are coupons for that size. The only thing that does not come out exactly right for all of the many photobooks I have ordered is the front and back covers. The colors are a little darker (just on the covers). And the cover picture is always a little higher and to the right so I put a border around it to compensate. This book (link below) is 102 pages (8x8) and the price for 2 books with shipping was $89.98. I used a coupon. (Notice the covers looks offset but with my adjustments but they printed out perfectly centered.)
    http://www.artscow.com/gallery/book/Mamaw-s-Kitchen-cooking-cookbook-recipes-recipe-book-food-cook-book-g9li68uym5z3

This 8x8 photobook is 32 pages and with shipping the cost was $12.49 with a coupon. Again I made the same adjustments for the front and back covers.
    http://www.artscow.com/gallery/book/Seconds-cooking-cookbook-recipes-recipe-book-food-cook-book-c9atiqbh2ev4

My suggestion would be to order your book in the 8x8 size to check it out before spending the money on the 12x12. The other thing I do is order the 8x10 photos of all of the pages in my book and put them in a cute binder. I use coupons when Artscow offers free 8x10's. Photo quality is great. I am really satisfied with Artscow and highly recommend them.
8/2/2011 0:50:25

Bobbie
TotalPost:126
RE:RE:Convince me to order..... Reply

8/2/2011 0:54:34

Jen
TotalPost:202
RE:Convince me to order..... Reply

Hi Michelle

I'm not ordering any more books from Artscow. I started a while ago, and the first few turned out quite nicely. I even ordered a duplicate book from another site to compare, and while that one was 3x the price, the differences in quality were pretty much negiligible (Artscow wasn't as good, but only slightly less).

However, I have tried several of their new sized books in the past few months - I have ordered 5x7s (Halloween book), 6x6 (general pics) and a 4x4 board book. At least half the photos in all these books look terrible. The colors are way too saturated and the skintones are RED RED RED. My monitor is calibrated and my photos are precisely corrected in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. Artscow makes these photos look awful.

Maybe its just the little book sizes, I don't know. I would do what Bobbie suggests - order one in an 8x8 and see what you think without spending a fortune, like you would on a 12x12.

Jen
8/2/2011 8:33:03

ann
TotalPost:188
RE:RE:Convince me to order..... Reply

Michelle
    Artscow books are "hit or miss" sometimes they come out great, sometimes the colors are off. The most frequent complaint is oversaturated colors, folks looking sunburned, etc. I have even had the experience of ordering the same item and having the colors quite different. The problem with ordering the smaller size to see how it will come out is that they appear to have some "runs" where everything comes out really red, and other times where things are fine. Other negatives are the (sometimes) long wait for delivery, and the difficulties folks have encounted with customer service when things go awry. That all being said, I have ordered several photobooks that I really love. I'm also happy with canvas prints, 8 x 10s, Christmas cards, and many other novelty items. I started with Artscow because I wanted customized playing cards as a novelty gift and their price is incredibly low. They aren't great cards, they are flimsy, but I didn't care. Same with a lot of their stuff. Just don't expect a coffee table type book and you won't be disappointed. It sort of turns out that you do get what you pay for. You're not paying for top quality products, rapid delivery and flawless customer service. But you will get a decent product at a great price. If you are trying to make a priceless heirloom this is not the best place for that.
28/2/2011 10:03:38
Page 1 of 1, Total 5 1