Previous Topic | Next Topic

Add to Favorite Print
Page 1 of 2, Total 24 1 2
AuthorPosts

Linda
TotalPost:113
Old 480x640 pictures - Can I make 300dpi - Photobooking them? Reply

I have a LOAD of photos taken by my 1st digital camera - a whopping .3MP
    In case you're wondering - Yes - they are in colour! WOW!

I have NO idea what DPI they are - is there a free program that tells you? Better still would be a free program that would make them 300dpi - as a batch upgrading.
    I do have an old (yes, as old as my 0.3MP camera) non set up computer upstairs that has an old copy of adobe photoshop on it BUT I have NO photo editing software on the computers I use. I don't know if this does the necessary (10-11yrs old).

I'd really love to make up some photobooks with these old photos as we have about 5 years of holiday snaps etc. - we did a LOT of travelling so have many photos. I also have some photobook credits that I'd like to use up before they expire - this would be the IDEAL way to have my memories preserved.

I was thinking of doing most photos as at least 2 per page maybe much more 4-5 per page or even more.

Has anyone used such meagerly sized photos in a photobook? How did they turn out?

Hubby has a 10MP Fuji camera & I have a 2MP Fuji - which I love. I guess the time is coming when I need to replace mine. I was shocked when I saw that 640KB pictures 1600x1200 were considered too small to print Mine over fill a 19" screen & look wonderful
    OMG I often take pics at much lower resolutions on mine too!

Guess I'm just VERY old (at 56!) - all you young ones probably are amazed that someone could be using such outdated technology. Yes, I still have my old Box Brownie in the garage - now, IF they still made film for it!

Can someone PLEASE help me bring myself into the 21st century?

BETTER STILL - BERRY & WILLIAM - PLEASE TAKE NOTE!
    Is there any way that I could load my old smll photos onto Artscow & you technical lot could make them all 300dpi OR I could press a button & make them all 300dpi - as a batch?? Then tell us how many a page would look best?

There MUST be many people out there that have loads of old photos that don't meet the resolutions needed.

HELP!
21/8/2008 9:11:28

Alex
TotalPost:99
RE:Old 480x640 pictures - Can I make 300dpi - Photobooking them? Reply

Yes and no. The easy answer is yes, it is possible. The answer no is that the quality won't change. When you enhance images, it makes guesses as to what should be there and tries to make it better.
21/8/2008 10:25:07

Linda
RE:RE:Old 480x640 pictures - Can I make 300dpi - Photobooking them? Reply

>Yes and no. The easy answer is yes, it is possible. The answer no is that the quality won't change. When you enhance images, it makes guesses as to what should be there and tries to make it better.

Trouble is I have NO idea of how to do this. I have got 'the Gimp' BUT can just about do a bit of cloning in it. I'm after an easy 'batch' method if possible free OR otherwise the best inexpensive way to do it. Of course the BEST way would be for Artscow to offer this service!
    HINT HINT for Berry & William - BOY, could I advertise you IF you offered THIS service!

How would they look in a photobook? I printed some out & they looked OK - not brilliant, but OK as 6x4. A photobook (or 4 or 5) would however be a great way to keep the memories.

I LOVE some of the photobooks some have made (especially Blushbutter - WOW!) When I have more time (next year hopefully) I think I'd really like to get into trying this.
21/8/2008 10:40:45

Alex
RE:RE:RE:Old 480x640 pictures - Can I make 300dpi - Photobooking them? Reply

Well, I suppose the first step we should do is figure out if your images are at 300 DPI or not. 300 dpi is the minimum suggested for printing images. You can print them at home, but most printers don't print at 300 dpi, so it's unrepresentative of how it will look when professionals print it.
    Easiest way to figure that out is to right click on picture, properties and the tab over to details to see if it tells you the DPI.
21/8/2008 12:04:27

Linda
RE:RE:RE:RE:Old 480x640 pictures - Can I make 300dpi - Photobooking them? Reply

>Well, I suppose the first step we should do is figure out if your images are at 300 DPI or not. 300 dpi is the minimum suggested for printing images. You can print them at home, but most printers don't print at 300 dpi, so it's unrepresentative of how it will look when professionals print it.
    >Easiest way to figure that out is to right click on picture, properties and the tab over to details to see if it tells you the DPI.

They are 72 DPI. Do you know of any way I can resize them preferably as a batch?
    I'd REALLY love to get all these into a photobook - IF they will look OK
21/8/2008 15:33:54

Alex

That's tough to say. I put some in my photobook, they turned out ok, but of course not as well as if I had my own picutres (vs. 72 dpi). Shrinking down, the pictures will look better, but expanding, they will start to look fuzzy. Turning into 300 dpi is possible, but again, it's hard for the computer to fill in what it thinks was there, therefore it will always still have a blurry feature to it even when expanding to 300 dpi
21/8/2008 21:30:58

Linda

I have - through MUCH research seemed to answer my own question. I was EXTREMELY upset when I found that hubbys so called 'state of the art' Fuji Finepix 10MP 9500 or 9600 (can't be bothered to run upstairs & find it!) all singing & dancing model - the photos from which can take up 6 x19" computer screens was actually giving us photos at just 72dpi EEK!

BERRY/WILLIAM you NEED to read this article as you are misleading people when asking for 300dpi. It took ages to find something that was actually written for everyone to understand & not just jargon!

http://www.rideau-info.com/genealogy/digital/dpi.html

Here are a couple of paragraphs that really seem to make sense to me - read the whole & you'll see that when they state you NEED 300dpi - it's NOT true!

A Note to Print Shops and Graphics Designers
    I keep getting emails from poor folk who say that their print shop or graphics designer keep asking for digital phots at xxxDPI (usually 300 DPI). Please STOP DOING THIS to your poor clients - ask for what you really need, xxxx pixels in your prefered format (i.e. low compressed JPG or a TIF). If your need is for a digital photo that can be printed at high quality at a width of 6 inches, and you think that 300 ppi is what is required to do this (based on your equipment), then you need a digital photo that is 1800 pixels in width (regardless of its DPI setting since it's a meaningless figure). So, ask for a digital photo that is at least 1800 pixels in width. Tell your client not to resize the photo, that if it is larger than 1800 pixels it's okay (so they don't resize a larger photo down to your "at least" pixel figure). If you are running older equipment/software that needs a particular DPI setting, then set it in the photo after you have received it.

Also, please don't ask for a digital image of xxx Kb in filesize (I've had print shops do this). This is even more meaningless than the DPI figure since the filesize depends not only on the format (JPEG, TIF) but the compression used with that format. If you are in a long term relationship with the client, educate the client to take photos at the highest quality setting their digital camera allows (and then ask for a copy of the original photo) or if they are scanning (where DPI does count in converting paper inches to digital pixels), specify the resulting pixel dimensions that you want.

If everyone simply worked with pixels we'd have a happier digital photo world.

Can I get extra credits for finding this please???? I spent a couple of days researching & trying to find this info. out & worrying that my cameras were not up to getting decent prints from. When I found out hubbys 'state of the art' camera was in the same 'inferior' mode of 72dpi instead of 'normal' mode NOT! of 300dpi that Berry/William needed I knew something was wrong!

Please work in pixels (NOT DPI) now Berry & William.
    I REALLY think I deserve something for this information.

22/8/2008 11:12:21

Linda

As a follow up to this - my OLD photos are 480x640
    Ar 300dpi that follows that the best quality photos can be printed at only 1.6 x 2.13 inches.
    HOWEVER I have seen posts where Berry has stated that half that size would give acceptable prints in the photobooks. Does that mean that they are printed in less than 300dpi????

I'd really appreciate either Berry or William answering this & telling me how many pictures I could put on a page without them looking too bad????

3 per page maximum????? in a photobook - each approx 3.2 x 4.2inches ????
22/8/2008 11:38:22

Berry
TotalPost:1021

hi Linda,

"As a follow up to this - my OLD photos are 480x640
    Ar 300dpi that follows that the best quality photos can be printed at only 1.6 x 2.13 inches. "

Thanks for the info.

300dpi will return best result.

But you can also do in 200dpi to get so far so good quality. Which is about 2.4 x 3.2".

So choose 9 layouts per page will be acceptable.

NEVER do 1 page 1 image 480x640 image, it will return very poor quality, lol.

Give it a try first, currently, we are doing very good pricing, in the future, we will definitely raise our pricing to make reasonable profits. Current pricing, it is "losing money" photo book orders.

See our cost structure here.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Berry
    ArtsCow.com
22/8/2008 19:09:44

ScrapMojo
Title:Addicted
TotalPost:935
Berry...Are the photo book prices going up? Reply

Sorry to butt in but Berry does this mean you will be raising the prices of the photo books in the future?
22/8/2008 21:56:40

Meaghan Aries
TotalPost:581
RE:Berry...Are the photo book prices going up? Reply

>Sorry to butt in but Berry does this mean you will be raising the prices of the photo books in the future?

It sounds to me like Maybe because they lowered the shipping price to $7.99 (from $11.99) they may raise the cost of the photobook by $4.... that is just my GUESS though
22/8/2008 22:50:41

ScrapMojo
Title:Addicted
TotalPost:935
RE:RE:Berry...Are the photo book prices going up? Reply

Well while we have free credits thats ok BUT after that then... well they won't really be the cheapest
23/8/2008 1:00:48

Meaghan Aries
RE:RE:RE:Berry...Are the photo book prices going up? Reply

Yah that is what i was thinking. If they up the price, then it wont be much compition between them and their competitor. Hmmmmm this may not be good.

Are they raising the price on other things too
23/8/2008 1:13:55

Tanya Gemini
Title:DigiScrapper!
TotalPost:260
RE:Berry...Are the photo book prices going up? Reply

I hope not! I so love Artscow but really if they are not going to be much less than other companies out there I might opt out of buying from them in the future. Not sure it will be worth my time and extra $.

>Yah that is what i was thinking. If they up the price, then it wont be much compition between them and their competitor. Hmmmmm this may not be good.
    >
    >Are they raising the price on other things too
    >
23/8/2008 4:56:57

Linda

Thanks Berry - it was as I thought AFTER much research. You techies try to make things too complicated . I NOW understand - that article really helped me as it was written for non techie people in non jargonesque. Digital camera boffins also like to speak/write jargon to confuse people!. It's easy once you get someone that explains it simply.

Come on you lot - do you think any business could survive at these prices? Be honest! Just be thankful you got in on the ground floor & have LOTS of freebies. Far more than me - I'm up for trading & I will say THANKS! I just wish I had LOTS more time to make my photobooks as I think they are awesome! I'm WELL addicted after finding this site.

Don't know what I'm going to do once the freebies end? I know hubby wants to get back into photography & me? I think I'll be spending my retirement making digital scrapbooks. I just wish I had the skills/time now to do great ones! However, I think I'll be surprising people with photo presents from now onwards. Tis a GREAT hobby!
23/8/2008 9:28:56

Meaghan Aries

>Come on you lot - do you think any business could survive at these prices? Be honest! Just be thankful you got in on the ground floor & have LOTS of freebies.

I am not sure it is that we are ungrateful. I am very greatful for all of the freebies. My only concern is if they stop price competing with other companys, then I may have a hard decission about staying here. Only because they do not do combined shipping here, So if you buy 5 items it makes the products you are buying WAY more then other company's. (and the fact that they do not do combined shipping, and charge you shipping for EACH item, but then put them in the same package (I had 2 photobooks shipped, payed the $11.99 shipping on each -before they lowered it - and they arived in the same package) So they basically pocketed that other $11.99 for themselves... which is how they are staying in business with all the freebies. Now because the books were FREE, I dont' complain about that. I just try to look at it as the books being for $11.99.

That is just my only worry.
23/8/2008 9:45:10

Berry
TotalPost:1021

hi all,

Even we raise the pricing a little bit in the future, it will still be 50% lower than those 3-4 largest websites do. (We hope we can be one of them too, lol.)

We hope we can maintain a Hardcover Imagewarp 8x8 photo book (30 pages) pricing less than $20.00 including shipping fee FOREVER.

Our "referral program" will not stop, you can refer your friends, and earn "Free PhotoBook Credits". Shipping fee for photo book will not be adjusted. Therefore, if you got enough referral credits, you will be able to buy 30-page photo books at $7.99/each (which is the shipping fee only) FOREVER.

Hope above information can help you guys who are addicted with our photo books already.
    Berry
    ArtsCow.com
23/8/2008 10:24:17

Meaghan Aries

THANKS BERRY..... $20 including shipping is AWESOME.

Exspecially with your referral program. I dont think any other places offer that

I was just worried because some company's, when they say they will raise the prices "a bit" it really means "A LOT"
    Glad you are not like that here at Artscow

And yes YOU have turned us into a bunch of crazy people with all of your free stuff and great prices
23/8/2008 10:28:14

Tanya Gemini
Title:DigiScrapper!
TotalPost:260

I agree with you as well! I'm so HAPPY to have what I do from Artscow! I just wish they combined shipping!
    >
    >I am not sure it is that we are ungrateful. I am very greatful for all of the freebies. My only concern is if they stop price competing with other companys, then I may have a hard decission about staying here. Only because they do not do combined shipping here, So if you buy 5 items it makes the products you are buying WAY more then other company's. (and the fact that they do not do combined shipping, and charge you shipping for EACH item, but then put them in the same package (I had 2 photobooks shipped, payed the $11.99 shipping on each -before they lowered it - and they arived in the same package) So they basically pocketed that other $11.99 for themselves... which is how they are staying in business with all the freebies. Now because the books were FREE, I dont' complain about that. I just try to look at it as the books being for $11.99.
    >
    >That is just my only worry.
25/8/2008 5:59:04

Chris
TotalPost:117

>Come on you lot - do you think any business could survive at these prices? Be honest!

I totally agree. Look around at other photo sides. Their sites are nicer and their software is better (at least I think so) but they are much pricier. I think AC has done what they have to do while working out the kinks in their software and other things. They've sold their product way cheaper than other companies.

They will have to raise prices to stay in business. I appreciate the cheap prodcts they are offering because the quality is excellent.

About the photobook and the DPI and all that. I created a photobook, images ranged from 72-200 dpi. They were not very big and I got warnings on almost all of them but I made the book anyway because it was important to me. The book turned out okay. Not great. I didn't expect it to be great because of the quality images I was using but, it turned out a lot better than I thought it would. It's a gift for my in-laws and they will love it. Personally, if it's important, I think it's well worth that small price you pay for shipping, even if it doesn't turn out great. Just order with low expectations :-)

My photobook with great quality images turned out perfect :-)

I am already working on a 12x12 album for my mother-in-law as I have a couple coming. After seeing they are almost 50.00 on another site, I decided I was going to make good use of those credits :-)

>Thanks Berry - it was as I thought AFTER much research. You techies try to make things too complicated . I NOW understand - that article really helped me as it was written for non techie people in non jargonesque. Digital camera boffins also like to speak/write jargon to confuse people!. It's easy once you get someone that explains it simply.
    >
    >Come on you lot - do you think any business could survive at these prices? Be honest! Just be thankful you got in on the ground floor & have LOTS of freebies. Far more than me - I'm up for trading & I will say THANKS! I just wish I had LOTS more time to make my photobooks as I think they are awesome! I'm WELL addicted after finding this site.
    >
    >Don't know what I'm going to do once the freebies end? I know hubby wants to get back into photography & me? I think I'll be spending my retirement making digital scrapbooks. I just wish I had the skills/time now to do great ones! However, I think I'll be surprising people with photo presents from now onwards. Tis a GREAT hobby!

Chris
12/11/2008 4:43:36
Page 1 of 2, Total 24 1 2