Your are the 8531th Viewer
Previous Topic | Next Topic

Add to Favorite Print
Page 1 of 2, Total 30 1 2
AuthorPosts

Jewelie Swartwout
TotalPost:28
Why a 20 page photobook Reply

Why is a 20 page photobook offered when it doesn't really exist????

I design wedding albums for photographers all the time. I had a couple family projects I wanted to design here so I made the 20 page album advertised but to my dismay I had to add pages after the fact.....I didn't have enough images so I redid numerous pages to make this work.

I DO NOT want a 20 page album with a whole bunch of blank pages.

Why do this?????
22/11/2008 9:22:43

Birkie
TotalPost:206
RE:Why a 20 page photobook Reply

>I wondered that too. Wouldn't it make sense to offer a 23 page book which is actually 24 pages if you count the logo page.I think the page sets come in 8s. So then the next book size should be 32 pages not 30, etc.
22/11/2008 9:40:51

ScrapMojo
Title:Addicted
TotalPost:935
RE:RE:Why a 20 page photobook Reply

I agree. I don't see why they don't just offer them as FULL books... THEN in each book if we wanted to add pages in lots of 8 we can

Other then being a little shady I honestly don't see why not offer them as they come.
22/11/2008 10:06:53

Tiffany Casey
TotalPost:49

Are you serious? I ordered a 20 page book back in May and it was 20 pages. Have they changed something????
24/11/2008 1:09:09

Birkie
TotalPost:206

>Did you have 3 empty pages? Because that is what people don't want.
24/11/2008 1:24:46

Tiffany Casey
TotalPost:49

Hmmmmm. I gave it as a gift and I don't remember now. I can call her and see. Yeh, why do they have to put those extra pages in?
24/11/2008 2:24:04

Jewelie Swartwout

I guess the 8 pages to add is another question that I have. One page that goes across to be saddle stitched is 4 pages, why do we have to add 8 at a time, why not 4. If it was in sets of 4 you could offer a 20 page album that doesn't have the extra blank pages and your 20 page album would exist.
25/11/2008 2:20:39

Berry
TotalPost:1021

Dear all,

The reason why we can offer such low pricing for a long time, it is because we are using "stitch bound" and "machine binding production line" on our 8x8 photo books. The quality of photo books with machine binding and stitch bound is much better than glue bound and hand binding.

Stitch Bound Advantage:
    All our photo books are stitch bound (not glue bound), allowing you to flip pages and spread the book out flat without having the binding crack. (Glue bound books often come apart especially in hot climates where the glue melts.) That is why we can't offer pages more than 40pages, because of limitation of stitch bound.

Hardbound by machine:
    We have pre-made several different hardcover molds to fit different pages. That is why we can't offer 4 pages to be added each time. (Since these molds are very very expensive.) So, if those photo book makers are allowing you to add 2 pages each time, they are definitely using the cheap "glue bound" to make your photo books. Keep in mind, the cost of "glue bound" is much lower than "stitch bound".

You can choose to leave page 21,22,23 to be blank, or you can add $1.50 to make a perfect photo book. $0.50 per page is very low pricing, you can see others are charging $1.00 per page (8"x8").

Some members may ask why we don't offer 23pages directly instead of 20pages? The answer is simple and easy to understand. Because this $1.50 can help us survive better. For each photo books with promotion, all of them are losing money if you just choose 20page version, no adding pages, no removing logos. You can see our cost structure here.

Thanks to those members who have removed logo, added pages to 23, 31 and 39pages. You help us survive better.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Berry
    ArtsCow.com
25/11/2008 9:39:11

Alan Poh Aquarius
TotalPost:313

I would say that I like the blank pages...they are useful...

Holiday Trips - u can paste the tickets, itenairy, etc
    Birthday - can paste birthday cards, invitations, etc
    Marriage - invitations, receipts, can even ask family / friend to sign on photo book
    Birth - hospital bills, baby hand / foot prints, etc
25/11/2008 14:21:48

Jewelie Swartwout

I don't like the extra pages. Most of the people I give these too are not scrapbookers and will not put things in those pages, they will just ask why I didn't finish the book. My main complaint is that you offer books that are not available. You do not have a 20 page book, it is a 24 page book. If I would have known that, I would have know that it would be discounted for 20 pages and I would pay for the 4 (as I remove the logo). I would have also know to make the album 24 pages and not 20 so that I wouldn't have to redesign. I work with MANY album companies and none of them offer a page # album that has blank pages at the end. You would be MUCH better off saying that you get a 20 pages of a 24 page album. Your albums are 24 pages, 32 pages and 40 pages ONLY. 1 page has logo which can be replaced with our image for $2. If it was explained this way you would have NO complaints.

My only real complaint is that you DO NOT have a 20 page album although you advertise that you do. You do not have a 30 page album either! Just advertise the actual page number. Still give a 20 pages of designs in a 24 page album for free credit or 30 pages of design in a 32 page album to be honest.

Barry, I also want to acknowlege that the saddle stitch and hard cover is awesome. I have yet to get an album but I worked in pre-press for years and understand the benifit. I'm not asking that anything change except how it is presented.
26/11/2008 1:01:18

Cecilia
TotalPost:56
RE:RE:RE:Why a 20 page photobook Reply

>I would say that I like the blank pages...they are useful...
    >
    >Holiday Trips - u can paste the tickets, itenairy, etc
    >Birthday - can paste birthday cards, invitations, etc
    >Marriage - invitations, receipts, can even ask family / friend to sign on photo book
    >Birth - hospital bills, baby hand / foot prints, etc

I've never though of that! I'm working on a 20 pg book right now and that would be a great idea. thanks!
6/1/2009 13:17:37

MsTinaK Gemini
TotalPost:225

I have to add that many commercially produced books do have several blank pages in them. Particularly hard back books do this. I've been checking my (commercial) books and find it is 'normal' for them to have 2 blank pages at the end and 1 blank page before the book starts. I've noticed this in coffee table type books as well. Even the readers digest hardback condensed books have a blank page at the beginning and the end. Softback books appear to be hit and miss...some of mine have one blank page at beginning or end, some have no blank pages. Though most of those have one page where all that is on it is a title on one side and blank on the reverse.

just thought I'd share my observations!

6/1/2009 14:16:27

Jay Page Taurus
TotalPost:52

It costs $3.50 to get the other pages, if you don't pay the small amount to get it don't winge it was your choice. I have bought several books (due to the low prices/discounts) and $3.50 is worth it seeing I only paid $7.99 for the other 20 pages and a hard cover. I do understand peoples disappointment in the extra cost though just don't understand people complaining if they got the product for just postage. We all need to appriciate the discounts we get here, they may not be on offer for ever.
6/1/2009 15:28:17

Jewelie Swartwout

>It costs $3.50 to get the other pages, if you don't pay the small amount to get it don't winge it was your choice. I have bought several books (due to the low prices/discounts) and $3.50 is worth it seeing I only paid $7.99 for the other 20 pages and a hard cover. I do understand peoples disappointment in the extra cost though just don't understand people complaining if they got the product for just postage. We all need to appriciate the discounts we get here, they may not be on offer for ever.

Jay,
    I did pay the extra cost for the books and I'm not upset to do so. If you read my post you will see that my complaint is not paying for the pages, but from a design point I made a 20 page album (that is what is advertized) got into the program and uploaded my completed book to find that after the whole design was done I needed to add pages! That is the problem for me. I would rather be told that it is a 24 page album (20 pages given as free credit). I complain because even in the description it doesn't say that it is a 24 page album and that a true 20 page album does not exist.
    Jewelie
11/1/2009 3:03:16

ScrapMojo
Title:Addicted
TotalPost:935

Yep I have to agree
11/1/2009 9:11:04

Jay Page Taurus
TotalPost:52

I see what you are saying. I noticed when I started making it so I guess I was lucky.
11/1/2009 10:39:50

chris
TotalPost:17

Artscow has absolutely wonderful deals, and FAR SUPERIOR software to make our items. It was clear to me that the few OPTIONAL extras were to help them KEEP COSTS LOW for all of us. So I too, want to thanks everyone who pays for the three extra pages. If I just want an extra copy cheaper, I put a sticker over the logo. I thinks these guys are GREAT, and am truly amazed that anyone would grumble.
    most sincerely- c
11/3/2009 22:42:49

ibdawnk
TotalPost:66

>Artscow has absolutely wonderful deals, and FAR SUPERIOR software to make our items. It was clear to me that the few OPTIONAL extras were to help them KEEP COSTS LOW for all of us. So I too, want to thanks everyone who pays for the three extra pages. If I just want an extra copy cheaper, I put a sticker over the logo. I thinks these guys are GREAT, and am truly amazed that anyone would grumble.
    >most sincerely- c

Well said, I could not agree more!!
20/3/2009 13:04:52

nancy Sagittarius
TotalPost:32

I agree with you... I love those extra empty pages. I figure you can add something if it was forgotten or they can add their own thoughts about the book and their memories of the event.
    Thanks Artcow...Keep it up
    >I would say that I like the blank pages...they are useful...
    >
    >Holiday Trips - u can paste the tickets, itenairy, etc
    >Birthday - can paste birthday cards, invitations, etc
    >Marriage - invitations, receipts, can even ask family / friend to sign on photo book
    >Birth - hospital bills, baby hand / foot prints, etc
21/3/2009 1:11:03

N_B_E_T_S_I
TotalPost:56

I agree. With these prices, I don't mind paying the extra money.

>Artscow has absolutely wonderful deals, and FAR SUPERIOR software to make our items. It was clear to me that the few OPTIONAL extras were to help them KEEP COSTS LOW for all of us. So I too, want to thanks everyone who pays for the three extra pages. If I just want an extra copy cheaper, I put a sticker over the logo. I thinks these guys are GREAT, and am truly amazed that anyone would grumble.
    >most sincerely- c
15/11/2009 4:02:21
Page 1 of 2, Total 30 1 2