New Topic | Reply to Topic | New Vote
Your are the 640th Viewer
Previous Topic | Next Topic

Add to Favorite Print
Page 1 of 1, Total 9 1
AuthorPosts

myphotos
TotalPost:505
How many photo books have you made so far? Suggestions for other books I can make? Reply

How many photo books have you made so far?

What do you use them for? Any ideas?

I've ordered more than half a dozen:
    1) Christmas
    2) Thanksgiving
    3) Old family portraits
    4, 5, and 6) previous vacations
    7) School days (photobook for old grade school/high school photos)
    8) Photos comparing photos taken in the same place over a number of years (for example, a photo taken by the same building five years ago and a second photo at the same building taken this year)
    9) Photos of the past decade... showing how I've aged!
    10) Ordered elsewhere, but made a photo review of the year photobook, as well as a college days book.

What other books would you suggest? I'm thinking about making more "themed books," such as "New Year's," previous Halloween (book of old costume and party photos), birthday book (photos from all the birthdays that I can find), etc.

Another question: Should I get photo prints made of these, too? In general, would photo books likely fade in color after 50 or 100 years? Would a future kid or grandkid prefer larger photo prints so they can scan them or otherwise have individual photos instead of photobooks?

I'm curious how many that you have ordered, and if you have any creative ideas on what to make books for.
1/4/2009 5:31:19 PM

MsTinaK Gemini
TotalPost:225
RE:How many photo books have you made so far? Suggestions for other books I can make? Reply

You could browse through the photo book gallery for ideas.

I have done several for children. One that was a big hit, a personalized fire/truck photo book. I even set one up for another artscow member for her son.

I did a 9/11 memorial book and donated to the national fire museum in Harrisburg - it was their first annual memorial service and I'd taken photos, wanting to give them the photos in a special way. It was so well received that many ordered copies. (one person ordered 10 books!) I used their program in the front and the rest were just photos of the event. Nothing fancy at all.

I made a book for a grandnephew after taking photos of him and his other aunt baking a pie - I created a story book (Bryson makes an Apple Pie) using those photos and his name, his aunts name, his brothers name.

I made a book for my son for his 'first quarter century' :D HE loved it, though he said it made him feel old LOL

I made a book for my sister, using photos of her dog - I used the ABC scrapbook and called it Snoopy's book of ABC's. She took it everywhere with her to show people.

I've done two specialty books to use to show some of my available photos. One was all butterflies, the other was all flowers. They look nice just sitting out on the table.

As for photos, a few years ago I made a CD for everyone of their childhood photos that I'd scanned. I warned them though that they'd need to update these as technology changed, and some are switching to DVD now. But I keep master copies of everything too, and keep them updated. Now my mother LOVES to have photos that she can hold in her hand and look at or display. So I think it depends on individual preferences. I figure if I share the family photos with everyone, there's bound to be that ONE person who will look after them and be diligent about handing them down to future generations.

I also want to do some cookbook ones. For a wedding gift it can be the bride or groom, or boths fav recipes...or for a shower gift have guests bring their fav recipe. OR can do the same for a high school grad, a cookbook of their fav recipes. A family reunion cookbook too, mixing old and new photos to go with whoevers recipe it is, and photos of the food favs taken at the reunions.

I take photos for the local fire company, so I'll probably do a yearly book for them as well.

>How many photo books have you made so far?
    >
    >What do you use them for? Any ideas?
    >
    >I've ordered more than half a dozen:
    >1) Christmas
    >2) Thanksgiving
    >3) Old family portraits
    >4, 5, and 6) previous vacations
    >7) School days (photobook for old grade school/high school photos)
    >8) Photos comparing photos taken in the same place over a number of years (for example, a photo taken by the same building five years ago and a second photo at the same building taken this year)
    >9) Photos of the past decade... showing how I've aged!
    >10) Ordered elsewhere, but made a photo review of the year photobook, as well as a college days book.
    >
    >What other books would you suggest? I'm thinking about making more "themed books," such as "New Year's," previous Halloween (book of old costume and party photos), birthday book (photos from all the birthdays that I can find), etc.
    >
    >Another question: Should I get photo prints made of these, too? In general, would photo books likely fade in color after 50 or 100 years? Would a future kid or grandkid prefer larger photo prints so they can scan them or otherwise have individual photos instead of photobooks?
    >
    >I'm curious how many that you have ordered, and if you have any creative ideas on what to make books for.
1/4/2009 5:52:53 PM

myphotos
RE:RE:How many photo books have you made so far? Suggestions for other books I can make? Reply

Hi, thanks for the reply! I must have missed it before. I appreciate the ideas.
    I have looked through the gallery a few times now-- that helps. I'm hoping to come up with some other ideas-- I've now made books about New Year's, halloween costumes, birthdays, vacations, reunions, old family portraits, this past year, and a handful of others. I can't wait to see them when the rest come in. Some of the themes I combine into one book-- like Thanksgiving and family reunions. A lot of themes I don't have enough photos for.

I've used a good number of the complete themes in the gallery already-- except for a few that are either for something I don't need (like kids themes or wedding) or the plain white/black color combination. I hope the theme selection keeps growing before I use them all up. ;)

The memorial book that you created sounds neat-- what a thoughtful gesture. I love your idea of making a story out of a day or single event-- baking the pie and that sort of thing. There aren't any kids in my life, but maybe I can come up with something along those lines ('a day in my life" showing me going about my daily activities.. like the grocery store? Ha.. I'll have to come up with something fun and photograph the day.)

First quarter century book.. haha, that's awesome. And depressing. Did you include photos of his whole life-- one from each year, or how did you organize it? I'd love to do an age book, but I always seem to overlap and use the same photos. For example, I created an old family portraits book, and a grade school book-- seems like these would be very similar to the age book. I need to get more photos scanned-- I've scanned a thousand, but seem to already need more for photo book use. It'd be neat to figure out how to combine all of that in one quarterlife book. I'd love to see examples of what people do with those.

That's a great idea to give out CDs to family members. I've copied some over to my parents computer for starters. I back those up in digital storage and photo sharing sites. Even though I'm making photo books more often now, like of current/future events and holidays, I think I'll try to at least get 20-30 individual photos of my favorite pictures, and backup the digital copies reasonably often. Photo books are great and are fun to make and organize/condense everything, but there's something about holding an old individual photograph in your hand that brings back memories and is just.. special. I can't help but wonder if photo books are more prone to fading (colors) or brittle paper than generic photo prints after a good number of decades. Any thoughts on that? I also want to have enough photo books and individual photos to share with future family-- who knows, there could be dozens of people to divide the photos among. Your family is lucky to have a family photo caretaker/historian-type. Are you a photographer?

You know, I once thought about uploading every digital photo that I've got and get a copy of nearly all of them. While that's out of my league, I wish I could. I have some old digital photos that are coroding-- either are unopenable, or the pixels are mixed and/or grayed out. I wish I could find a way to stop that from happening. It makes me nervous about relying on digital photo files to preserve memories-- maybe that's why I'm going overboard on photo book and photo ordering.
1/13/2009 7:39:53 AM

ScrapMojo
Title:Addicted
TotalPost:935
RE:RE:RE:How many photo books have you made so far? Suggestions for other books I can make? Reply

Have you tried burning them to disk? or a couple of disks.

I've have yet to have a problem with old photos on dvd/cd so long as i keep the disks themselves in a protector case in a cool spot. I also make back up disks that i have never had to use before........... but just in case

Other then that i'm really not sure what to suggest there maybe someone with more experience/expertise can pop in and give some suggestion to fix the errors once they occur?
1/13/2009 10:59:19 AM

myphotos
RE:RE:RE:RE:How many photo books have you made so far? Suggestions for other books I can make? Reply

Thanks for the post. I have tried burning to a disc years ago-- a few CDs remained ok, others still have images on them deteriorate (and either not be openable or have grayed out areas). These photos were the same photos that had problems living on my hard drive, as well.

I haven't tried a DVD-- except for professional ones that I ordered this year. It's too early to tell on those, but I'm guessing those will last longer than my cheap home CDs that I once made.

I wish I knew what was wrong with those photos and if they can be recovered. I've photoshopped the gray area out of some now, and saved as a new file. Even some of those are grayed out/damaged now. A few had the error "invalid jpeg marker." It could have been an old camera we had at the time, a bad memory card, a bad hard disk-- something-- and the problem is just a result of something back then. Scares me away from fully trusting digital, though I still scan old photos to put online, too. I've looking into additional online photo backup storage-- especially ones that specialize in photo storage. Hopefully a combination of all the above will help. I need to get another external hard drive as another backup, too-- my external hard drive completely failed this year. I don't have much luck with tech junk, do I? :)

>Have you tried burning them to disk? or a couple of disks.
    >
    >I've have yet to have a problem with old photos on dvd/cd so long as i keep the disks themselves in a protector case in a cool spot. I also make back up disks that i have never had to use before........... but just in case
    >
    >Other then that i'm really not sure what to suggest there maybe someone with more experience/expertise can pop in and give some suggestion to fix the errors once they occur?
1/14/2009 1:29:38 PM

ScrapMojo
Title:Addicted
TotalPost:935
RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:How many photo books have you made so far? Suggestions for other books I can make? Reply

Damn ... no you seem to be having a bad run... sorry to hear that

Maybe the other option (if the budget permits) is printing copies and keeping them in the right conditions as backup so if you ever need to you can scan them too... it kind of defeats the purpose of digital but like you said you've been having a really bad run.

From my limited knowledge of photo recovery/restoration i'd say the pixels have been corrupted as you mentioned either by a bad hard drive, memory disk, camera, etc and i'm not sure if they can be fixed properly. There is some really good people with photoshop out there and programs for restoring old photos so i imagine they can attempt filling in the missing pixels but i'm really not sure how that would turn out.

It's a shame for you though I kinda feel your pain...... loosing photos of my childhood in a move interstate about a year ago broke me up I hope someone has some suggestions or help for you
1/14/2009 7:38:36 PM

Jessica Capricorn
TotalPost:131
RE:How many photo books have you made so far? Suggestions for other books I can make? Reply

Hello,
    My 1st book was pregnancy(with my 2nd child), vacation books(I made 3 and need to make 2 & shipped to my mom overseas), christening, 2 christmas 2008(1 for my mom & for myself), 1st birthday of my daughter & planning to make more. I would love to make more books like my wedding, friends gathering, Summer. I do transfer most of my old photos to a disk just in case if my computer crushed I save there memories. I loved to take pictures of my kids coz growing up I never experienced taking pictures. Also most of my kids old pictures from 2003 up to now, I also order prints mostly 4x6. I ordered almost 500 pictures already and I know I need to order more. I am glad that my hubby has no problem ordering here in Artscow.

Jessica
1/14/2009 10:56:05 PM

MsTinaK Gemini
TotalPost:225
RE:RE:RE:How many photo books have you made so far? Suggestions for other books I can make? Reply

>Hi, thanks for the reply!

You're welcome!

I must have missed it before. I appreciate the ideas.
    >I have looked through the gallery a few times now-- that helps. I'm hoping to come up with some other ideas-- I've now made books about New Year's, halloween costumes, birthdays, vacations, reunions, old family portraits, this past year, and a handful of others. I can't wait to see them when the rest come in. Some of the themes I combine into one book-- like Thanksgiving and family reunions. A lot of themes I don't have enough photos for.

Some of the more creative scrapbookers (I'm not one of them!) could probably come up with many ideas when you don't have enough photos, like maybe taking some photos or scans of items used, like the napkin pattern, ticket stub (we use various things for raffles at our reunions) Or you could do 2 several years of Thanksgivings, reunions, etc.

>I've used a good number of the complete themes in the gallery already-- except for a few that are either for something I don't need (like kids themes or wedding) or the plain white/black color combination. I hope the theme selection keeps growing before I use them all up. ;)

A lot of people here are really into scrapbooking and use their own themes, and could tell you where to look for more of them outside of Artscow. You do the pages on your computer, then upload it to artscow just like a photo, only you are using it to fill up an entire page.

>The memorial book that you created sounds neat-- what a thoughtful gesture. I love your idea of making a story out of a day or single event-- baking the pie and that sort of thing. There aren't any kids in my life, but maybe I can come up with something along those lines ('a day in my life" showing me going about my daily activities.. like the grocery store? Ha.. I'll have to come up with something fun and photograph the day.)

That sounds like it could be fun!

>
    >First quarter century book.. haha, that's awesome. And depressing. Did you include photos of his whole life-- one from each year, or how did you organize it?

He is my first and only, so I had way too many photos to choose from! I did it mostly chronologically, but interspersed throughout with - then and now - photos like him in his first riding fire truck as a toddler, then years later as he is standing by his REAL fire truck as an office in the fire dept. His first childhood 'girlfriend' , his current girlfriend. Several years of proms photos. That sort of thing.

In books where I don't have a lot of photos, I use the entire page for each photo. That is what I did for the memorial book.

everything, but there's something about holding an old individual photograph in your hand that brings back memories and is just.. special.

I absolutely agree. And now days the photos are kept easier, plus albums available now have acid free pages to help preserve the photos better then in times past, and even special boxes to store photographs in. My mom loves for me to print out a few photos on a regular basis for her to display.

I can't help but wonder if photo books are more prone to fading (colors) or brittle paper than generic photo prints after a good number of decades. Any thoughts on that? I also want to have enough photo books and individual photos to share with future family-- who knows, there could be dozens of people to divide the photos among. Your family is lucky to have a family photo caretaker/historian-type. Are you a photographer?

I'm not sure how long these books are to last, I don't even think I've ever read all their info on the paper used for the books LOL
    As for the photographer, I am just an amatuer with a point and shoot! though I hope to get my first DSLR this year. I'm getting ready to do a first birthday party book for one of my grand-nephews

>You know, I once thought about uploading every digital photo that I've got and get a copy of nearly all of them. While that's out of my league, I wish I could. I have some old digital photos that are coroding-- either are unopenable, or the pixels are mixed and/or grayed out. I wish I could find a way to stop that from happening. It makes me nervous about relying on digital photo files to preserve memories-- maybe that's why I'm going overboard on photo book and photo ordering.

When I changed computers I ran into a problem, as my computer was really dying and I had to hurry to get photos off of it. I did upload thousands of photos online - which came in handy after I lost a few of my digital copies during the transition to a new computer. It can be tough knowing what is going to be the most reliable media for the future. That and that there will be someone that cares enough about the photos to keep them preserved! As it is all part of history. Just think of all the photos from the 1900's that are sitting around in old shoe boxes, in musty attics waiting to be discovered! I love old photos myself and have scanned in many old family photos, even when I have no idea who is who in the photo. I'm happy that my father finally found his WW11 photos and gave to me. I have been slowly converting his old 8mm films onto dvd. When I got one done and shared it with the family they were amazed. Plus, not a lot of people I knew growing up had home movies from the 50's, now I have them on DVD. Well, some of them, it will be awhile before I get them all converted!!

Anyhow, good luck with your books! Thanks for sharing your ideas too!
1/15/2009 5:14:38 PM

RD
TotalPost:2479

Good info. Thank you.
5/4/2021 10:51:21 PM
Page 1 of 1, Total 9 1