Your are the 1216th Viewer
Previous Topic | Next Topic

Add to Favorite Print
Page 1 of 1, Total 12 1
AuthorPosts

myphotos
TotalPost:505
What kind of scrapbooks do you make? Reply

What kind of scrapbooks do you make? One per vacation or special occasion? One per friend or family member? One per year? One per decade? Why?

Do you do both print/paper and digital scrapbooks?

Do you also get photo prints or collages?

Why?

Do you incorporate video into anything-- maybe a DVD in the back pocket of a scrapbook?

6/5/2009 4:47:09 PM

Starr Taurus
TotalPost:166
RE:What kind of scrapbooks do you make? Reply

I just recently started scrapbooking. I have a 12x12 scrapbook, but I do all different sizes of prints from 12x12 and 8x8 pages, and some 8x10's. I wanted to take advantage of my artscow freebies of different sizes.

So, my 12x12 pages take up the whole page, but I also have some paper scrapbooking supplies and if I order smaller prints I will glue them onto cute papers and add stickers and embellishments to them. I also add a few stickers to my 12x12 pages to add some dimension to them.

I do scrapbook pages for smaller events that I only need a few pics for, but I also have several photo books for vacations/holidays/etc when I take lots of photos.

6/5/2009 9:46:13 PM

kelli a bard Sagittarius
TotalPost:200
RE:RE:What kind of scrapbooks do you make? Reply

Well... until recently, I was a collector of Scrapbook SUPPLIES! then I started getting the scrapbook page freebies here and I became digital. Now my Scrapbook room sits lonely... But seriously, I have over 25,000 pictures prior to starting this, I want to scrapbook by hand.
    Here, I've been doing a little of both 12 x 12 and 8x8 pages. Different sizes for differnt things.
    Also the last three years, every six months I make a half year in review BOOK. with appox 40-60 pages.
    I'll also do quicky books for cool vacations or other large moments in our lives
    So in the end, I have a book case that has a little bit of everything right now.
    -----------------------------------------------
    ~ Kelli
6/6/2009 12:02:51 AM

myphotos

Cool. I glue in 4 x 6 prints into scrapbooks, too.. sometimes cutting them into shapes, sometimes just plain. I'm not sure that I understand ordering scrapbook pages instead of a photobook-- is it so you can add dimensional embellishments, or so you can add pages as you go (instead of ordering a book all done)? That's a good idea to do scrapbook pages for smaller events/fewer photos of stuff, then larger photo books for the larger events/occasions. I tend to duplicate them-- some in handmade scrapbooks, some in photo books, and some 4 x 6 prints. I guess it doesn't hurt to have multiples of some favorite photos.

I've ordered a few collages and liked them. I guess both collages and scrapbook pages would also be cute framed on the wall, too-- maybe alternating the ones in the frame on the wall and putting them in a scrapbook after they've had their rotation.

>I just recently started scrapbooking. I have a 12x12 scrapbook, but I do all different sizes of prints from 12x12 and 8x8 pages, and some 8x10's. I wanted to take advantage of my artscow freebies of different sizes.
    >
    >So, my 12x12 pages take up the whole page, but I also have some paper scrapbooking supplies and if I order smaller prints I will glue them onto cute papers and add stickers and embellishments to them. I also add a few stickers to my 12x12 pages to add some dimension to them.
    >
    >I do scrapbook pages for smaller events that I only need a few pics for, but I also have several photo books for vacations/holidays/etc when I take lots of photos.
    >
    >
6/19/2009 2:11:51 PM

myphotos
RE:RE:RE:What kind of scrapbooks do you make? Reply

Fun! Every time I look at paper scrapbook supplies I'm floored by the price of some of it. But, I do like the cute little stickers, ribbons, and actual dimensional elements. It's fun to cut up paper, and seems like it would be a treasured handmade item for future family or something.

I've started taking more and more photos and getting them printed. I keep them in photo boxes, and (with duplicate copies) put my favorites in scrapbooks. 25,000 photos from film is a lot. Getting all that film developed must have cost a fortune back in the day. That's cool to have a wide selection. Are they organized? I'm trying to keep things semi-organized as I start to accumulate photos. Organizing 20 or 30,000 photo prints that are a scatter sounds like a nightmare. My digital photo collection is even adding up-- and I don't have everything printed out. I'm trying to take more photos more often, especially since it seems like some years I don't have many from. I guess either film was a hassle, or we never got it all developed or lost it or something. Putting tens of thousands in scrapbooks sounds like it would take too much time and make you miss the "now" of life. Of course, it also sounds fun. I'd narrow it down in photo boxes, then just do themed scrapbooks of the rest. Then again, I don't have a scrapbooking room. Too bad we're not neighbors!

Do you have digital scans of your favorites? I've been scanning a variety of old photos as a secondary backup (paper first, as digital can fail-- but also digital, since paper can be damaged/misplaced). I wouldn't scan every photo every made, but I have probably 1200 scans of old film photos and that's about it for now. Maybe I'll scan some more if I find ones of relatives that I don't have anything scanned of.

I like the half year review book, and doing books for vacations or special occasions too. I'm glad that I'm not the only one doing it. It seems redundant, but maybe that's good if it's split up among multiple relatives some day. I've started doing photo collages of each month and year, too. I'm not sure if I'll put those in paper scrapbooks or what, but I like the "year/month in review" style where it shows some of everything without being overwhelming.

>Well... until recently, I was a collector of Scrapbook SUPPLIES! then I started getting the scrapbook page freebies here and I became digital. Now my Scrapbook room sits lonely... But seriously, I have over 25,000 pictures prior to starting this, I want to scrapbook by hand.
    >Here, I've been doing a little of both 12 x 12 and 8x8 pages. Different sizes for differnt things.
    >Also the last three years, every six months I make a half year in review BOOK. with appox 40-60 pages.
    >I'll also do quicky books for cool vacations or other large moments in our lives
    >So in the end, I have a book case that has a little bit of everything right now.
6/19/2009 2:22:59 PM

kelli a bard Sagittarius
TotalPost:200

Funny that you mention the price of the supplies. I was out shopping this week and every time I looked at something I liked, I thought to myself, I can make one WHOLE digital scrapbook page for the price of this. So, I only came home with page protectors and a couple of albums!

Funny, I dont think about the price of developing that film much anymore, but I know it was something that was always in our 'budget'. I also took some where along the lines of 26 rolls of 'film' pictures on our honeymoon. We have also been involed in car & motorcycle racing for years and those pictures add up quick and I'm sure 50% of those will never make it in a scrapbook, just a photo album. My OCD kicked in about 4 years ago and I have every single picture sorted in photo boxes, by events, months years, etc. I can usually find a picture I am after within 10-15 minutes. Its bad! LOL. You talking about missing the 'now' part of life, if I was to scrapbook all of that....thats probably why they are all sitting still and not scrapbooked! LOL....
    My digital files of pictures, they are on a 750gb hard drive thats backed up once a month and all sorted. A lot of the early pictures though, I have developed, because I know I wouldnt do it in the future! For the last year or so, I havent printed out a lot of the pictures though, because, I've been doing the digital scrapbook route.

We started scanning some of the OLDER pictures, like some from my wedding and high school days... but otherwise, that just all seems so overwhelming to me! LOL

I like the month in review concept too...... I might have to do some pages like that too! MMMM... Just seems sometimes, there isnt much we do in a month and then the next month, we are busy every single day doing something.

I wish I did have someone that lived close that I could scrapbook with.... Heck, I'm even willing to share all the supplies I have! haha.... I have more then I will EVER USE!

Fun! Every time I look at paper scrapbook supplies I'm floored by the price of some of it. But, I do like the cute little stickers, ribbons, and actual dimensional elements. It's fun to cut up paper, and seems like it would be a treasured handmade item for future family or something.

I've started taking more and more photos and getting them printed. I keep them in photo boxes, and (with duplicate copies) put my favorites in scrapbooks. 25,000 photos from film is a lot. Getting all that film developed must have cost a fortune back in the day. That's cool to have a wide selection. Are they organized? I'm trying to keep things semi-organized as I start to accumulate photos. Organizing 20 or 30,000 photo prints that are a scatter sounds like a nightmare. My digital photo collection is even adding up-- and I don't have everything printed out. I'm trying to take more photos more often, especially since it seems like some years I don't have many from. I guess either film was a hassle, or we never got it all developed or lost it or something. Putting tens of thousands in scrapbooks sounds like it would take too much time and make you miss the "now" of life. Of course, it also sounds fun. I'd narrow it down in photo boxes, then just do themed scrapbooks of the rest. Then again, I don't have a scrapbooking room. Too bad we're not neighbors!
    >
    >Do you have digital scans of your favorites? I've been scanning a variety of old photos as a secondary backup (paper first, as digital can fail-- but also digital, since paper can be damaged/misplaced). I wouldn't scan every photo every made, but I have probably 1200 scans of old film photos and that's about it for now. Maybe I'll scan some more if I find ones of relatives that I don't have anything scanned of.
    >
    >I like the half year review book, and doing books for vacations or special occasions too. I'm glad that I'm not the only one doing it. It seems redundant, but maybe that's good if it's split up among multiple relatives some day. I've started doing photo collages of each month and year, too. I'm not sure if I'll put those in paper scrapbooks or what, but I like the "year/month in review" style where it shows some of everything without being overwhelming.
    >
    >
    >>Well... until recently, I was a collector of Scrapbook SUPPLIES! then I started getting the scrapbook page freebies here and I became digital. Now my Scrapbook room sits lonely... But seriously, I have over 25,000 pictures prior to starting this, I want to scrapbook by hand.
    >>Here, I've been doing a little of both 12 x 12 and 8x8 pages. Different sizes for differnt things.
    >>Also the last three years, every six months I make a half year in review BOOK. with appox 40-60 pages.
    >>I'll also do quicky books for cool vacations or other large moments in our lives
    >>So in the end, I have a book case that has a little bit of everything right now.
    [/color][/color][/I]
    -----------------------------------------------
    ~ Kelli
6/19/2009 7:31:03 PM

Sherri Tierney
TotalPost:52

Here I go, reviving an old thread

This question has been one I've asked myself for YEARS. I've went through several phases in my scrapbooking. First I did 8.5x11 paper albums and just put everything in the same album in no particular order. Then I switched to 12x12 paper albums and had an album for my daughter, for my step-son and a family album. When my daughter was 2, I made the switch to digital scrapbooking and the question became even more difficult when I could use the same exact layout in more than one album!

I have found that I absolutely ADORE photobooks but that limits me even more in my scrapping because I can't just print pages and move them around each time I want to add a new page that goes in between others in chronological order. Its either get it all right the first time or forget it!

What I have started doing is having a lot of themed books. I have a book of pictures of my daughter with her favorite stuffed bear (after 7 years he's still her favorite lovey) and an ABC book of my son through his first year. I have a book of colors that taught my son his colors. I made DH a book of pictures of the two of us together for our 10th anniversary... the list goes on. I have around 30 different photobooks (with at least 2 duplicate copies of each so that the kids can look at them all they want now). Some are actual 'scrapped' albums and some are just showcasing my photography. The kids LOVE them which makes me feel good. :)

My ultimate goal is to have a 'big' (100 pages) book for the first year for each of my kids and then try to combine 2-3 years in to a 100 page album. I take SO many photos that this will be difficult as I always feel the need to scrap them all but I'm going to try. I don't want to saddle my kids with 18 or more 100 page books when they leave home, you know?
8/15/2009 11:37:16 AM

Catvinnat
TotalPost:627
RE:RE:RE:What kind of scrapbooks do you make? Reply

I started paper scrapping about 2 years ago but my stash of goodies is lying idle as I discovered digi about 12 months ago and havn't touched a pice of paper since.

I love 12 x 12 as you can't beat the impact of a page that size and my first love is still page protector albums as I can scrap whatever inspires me without feeling bound to do them in order.

Since discovering artscow I have started to create books for occasions. I love quickpage albums as they allow you to get the pictures done in a jiffy even if you don't have time to scrap them. I'm working on a couple of quickpage kits at the moment which I hope to have up in the next week or two.

The new 7 x 5 format is brilliant for bragbooks - I will be doing loads of those as gifts.
8/15/2009 10:10:59 PM

Meta Meulenbelt Cancer
TotalPost:47

>What kind of scrapbooks do you make? One per vacation or special occasion? One per friend or family member? One per year? One per decade? Why?

I started digital scrapbooking because I wanted to create lifebooks for my (adopted) children. Corrected: I didn't even know that digital scrapbooking existed. I checked about how creating lifebooks worked, and then found out about digital scrapbooking. I couldn't believe my eyes that this existed and I didn't know anything about it. I knew this was the thing for me. I started the lifebooks in january 2007, and am addicted to digiscrapping since.
    I created the lifebooks of my kids, and then I created yearbooks for them starting 2005. I create a yearbook for them ever since, I almost finished the one for 2009.
    I have also created a few other scrapbooks (one for my husband, he felt a little neglected because of all the books I made for the kids). My husband now has a book of himself about the things he loves.
    I have never scrapped with srapbook supplies (paper scrapping) and it is totally not for me, all that mess.

The idea of the video DVD in the back of a book is a nice one, I'll remember that!

Meta Meulenbelt
    The Netherlands
12/22/2009 5:50:15 PM

Catvinnat
TotalPost:627

>>What kind of scrapbooks do you make? One per vacation or special occasion? One per friend or family member? One per year? One per decade? Why?
    >
    >I started digital scrapbooking because I wanted to create lifebooks for my (adopted) children. Corrected: I didn't even know that digital scrapbooking existed. I checked about how creating lifebooks worked, and then found out about digital scrapbooking. I couldn't believe my eyes that this existed and I didn't know anything about it. I knew this was the thing for me. I started the lifebooks in january 2007, and am addicted to digiscrapping since.
    >I created the lifebooks of my kids, and then I created yearbooks for them starting 2005. I create a yearbook for them ever since, I almost finished the one for 2009.
    >I have also created a few other scrapbooks (one for my husband, he felt a little neglected because of all the books I made for the kids). My husband now has a book of himself about the things he loves.
    >I have never scrapped with srapbook supplies (paper scrapping) and it is totally not for me, all that mess.
    >
    >The idea of the video DVD in the back of a book is a nice one, I'll remember that!
    >
    >Meta Meulenbelt
    >The Netherlands
    >
    your family and your books are beautiful Meta
1/5/2010 12:13:48 PM

Anne Frey
TotalPost:88

My first 'scrapbooks' were regular sized fabric covered photo albums that contained various colored cardstock (to match the fabric on the outside), then put into plastic sleeves. I would cut out pictures in various shapes (using scrapbooking templates), glue them in and write my narratives.

I did this for my daughter's infant albums (yes, albums ), her first year and second year and that's as far as I've gotten. lol I decided I will do her 3rd, 4th and 5th years this way (I have everything purchased so it would be a waste to not finish this method).

I have started working on a 12 x 12 photobook for 2009, then will go back and do 2008 and 2007. Everything before then, will be done the 'old fashioned' way.

I have enjoyed making collages on here as well. For what studios charge to do cute collages, backgrounds, etc., it can be accomplished here for pennies. Plus I am enjoying tapping into those creative energies.

I have made smaller photobooks for special events (birthdays, vacations, etc.). I made photobooks for all of the kids on my daughter's soccer team and they were well received. No one had ever seen anything like that. I decided late in the season to do the photobooks. Next year, I will start planning earlier in the year.

I have so many ideas, it scares me. lol I am only limited by time and money.
1/8/2010 6:10:51 AM

Pam Miller
TotalPost:62

I started doing digital scrapbooking and have never looked back. I too have many many supplies of manual scapbooking stuff that I have not looked at since but promise myself i will do it again one day.

I did my first book and look at it now and think how basic it is now that I am familar with the site, use designer kits, and use the tools available that I did not know existed when doing my first book.

Now my mother does it too- she has found it a way to share the family photos amongst her four children giving each of us a book to keep as she does each phase of our lives. She also completed a book on the life of my father - his achievemnts,his family times. My father had alzheimers and was in a nursing home.It was a way for the nurses to know who he was, what he had done seeing he could not remeber or communicate it to anyone. They also used the book as therapy when they sat down with him to remind him of his past and often a smile of recognition would be evident.

I personally like to do books based on themes- a book for different occasions ie. my grandsons 2nd birthday,the Carer group I coordinate. I like to make a book a story.

It was interesting reading what others do - a great question. Thanks for asking

4/25/2010 7:52:36 AM
Page 1 of 1, Total 12 1