Your are the 828th Viewer
Previous Topic | Next Topic

Add to Favorite Print
Page 1 of 1, Total 9 1
AuthorPosts

Brian Sturk
TotalPost:3
Downloading back to PC from an album Reply

Is it possible to do this if I'm managed to lose the original images?
29/7/2009 1:40:00

Alana
TotalPost:2347
RE:Downloading back to PC from an album Reply

>Is it possible to do this if I'm managed to lose the original images?

Not by yourself. Send a message to customer support begging for a backup of your images. It's a long-shot, but you never know.

As for losing the original images, did they get erased from your hard drive, did you misplace a disk, did you drive die? If something happened to your equipment, there's a possibility that the images can be recovered.
29/7/2009 5:15:55

BN
TotalPost:170

Unfortunately no. Most photo printing sites don't allow this option because some members will abuse this service and turn it into a mass photo hosting service. Usually however, companies will allow you to re-download your original files if they are shutting down.
29/7/2009 23:16:11

Kylee
TotalPost:60

I recently lost 3 years of photos that my husband had put onto a portable hard drive (and nowhere else - go figure), the only photos I had left of my now nine month old baby are ones that I had uploaded and made into a book with artscow. I asked if there was any possibility of getting them from them in digital form and they said it was not possible. Naturally I had 5 books printed of the photos I had with them, but I am disappointed that I couldn't get them back, so have resorted to getting prints from artscow and then scanning them.
5/8/2009 15:36:53

ann
TotalPost:188
RE:RE:Downloading back to PC from an album Reply

Just FYI I know of 2 sites which DO allow you to download your images back to your PC. I currently "back-up" my photos by burning a CD every once in a while and also by uploading them onto one of these sites.
    www.Winkflash.com and Www.Flickr.com
    there are probably others as well
6/8/2009 3:17:06

Alana
RE:RE:Downloading back to PC from an album Reply

>>Is it possible to do this if I'm managed to lose the original images?
    >
    >I recently lost 3 years of photos that my husband had put onto a portable hard drive (and nowhere else - go figure), the only photos I had left of my now nine month old baby are ones that I had uploaded and made into a book with artscow.

First off, if you did not physically lose the hard drive, did you take it somewhere to see if the data could be recovered? And not to the Geek Squad, you will most likely have to send it away. Call tech support for the drive manufacturer.

I asked if there was any possibility of getting them from them in digital form and they said it was not possible. Naturally I had 5 books printed of the photos I had with them, but I am disappointed that I couldn't get them back, so have resorted to getting prints from artscow and then scanning them.
    >

Not our first choice, but it wasn't that long ago that this is about all we had as most of us didn't keep good track of our negatives. Although more expensive, you might want to invest in having larger size prints made. The larger the image you scan, the higher quality image you will have to play with later. Of course, you cannot go larger than the original aspect ratio of the original digital image.
6/8/2009 3:21:33

Kylee
TotalPost:60
RE:RE:RE:Downloading back to PC from an album Reply

>First off, if you did not physically lose the hard drive, did you take it somewhere to see if the data could be recovered? And not to the Geek Squad, you will most likely have to send it away. Call tech support for the drive manufacturer.
    >
    Hi Alana, I did take it to professional data recovery people and the quote was $2,200 if they could recover anything and the chance was not all that great as "... something" was stuck to the platters. Oh well, lesson learnt!!
    >
    > Not our first choice, but it wasn't that long ago that this is about all we had as most of us didn't keep good track of our negatives. Although more expensive, you might want to invest in having larger size prints made. The larger the image you scan, the higher quality image you will have to play with later. Of course, you cannot go larger than the original aspect ratio of the original digital image.

I have scanned the prints in at 1200 dots per inch so I that I can get a reasonable size photo to work with. Thanks for all your tips!! I notice that you help out a lot of people - you must spend quite a deal of time on the artscow website - I think they should pay you!!!!
6/8/2009 16:32:41

Alana
RE:RE:RE:RE:Downloading back to PC from an album Reply

>Hi Alana, I did take it to professional data recovery people and the quote was $2,200 if they could recover anything and the chance was not all that great as "... something" was stuck to the platters. Oh well, lesson learnt!!
    >>
    Sounds ridiculous, but I cannot ask my resident expert right now (my hubby) as he is too grumpy. Sorry) :(

>I have scanned the prints in at 1200 dots per inch so I that I can get a reasonable size photo to work with. Thanks for all your tips!! I notice that you help out a lot of people - you must spend quite a deal of time on the artscow website - I think they should pay you!!!!
    >
    I leave my laptop open all day and it is visible and w/i reach as I am not super mobile. Unfortunately, I am not well enough to work on my own passion right now, so I have made it my hobby to help out where I can. I only hope I am not giving out misinformation!! Maybe Artscow will come up with a correspondence school for Customer Support!
6/8/2009 21:17:26

myphotos
TotalPost:505
RE:RE:RE:RE:Downloading back to PC from an album Reply

If it's an external hard drive, you could get a SATA enclosure -- put the old drive in the new enclosure.

That's a common problem with external drives (failed hard drive cable/connector), and often you can read the data from then when you buy a new SATA or other enclosure. (Find out what type of hard drive it is, then look at a geeky store and pick the proper enclosure-- Some enclosures are only around $10-20, and connect to USB (after you put the old hard drive in them). No guarantee, but worth a try. You could also find a geeky kid around you to try it. Don't throw the drive away! A geek could likely get them off. Even if the drive failed, or was dropped, or had bad sectors, you can still typically get data off. What were the errors that you got?

Not to rub in salt, but here's what I'd do in the future if I were you: keep files locally on your PC (Windows on one partition, files on a second partition), have an external drive (or two), backup online on sites you can download the full source (Mozy or Windows Live Photos or SugarSync, for example, are free and give you at least some storage space), burn CDs of photos, copy family photos on relative's PCs (or CDs) offsite (just in case something happens to your house/area), keep an additional copy of photos on an office PC at work, e-mail your favorite photos to yourself and store on secondary backup sites (such as here), and get prints. Hard drives, external hard drives, CDs, and online storage sites can all fail. Digital files can fail (invalid jpeg marker, for example, and lossless jpg can deteriorate your digital photos). Get prints regularly, and keep them safe. Get scans of old film photo prints too, as paper can also be damaged.

>Hi Alana, I did take it to professional data recovery people and the quote was $2,200 if they could recover anything and the chance was not all that great as "... something" was stuck to the platters. Oh well, lesson learnt!!
    -----------------------------------------------
    I don't check messages here very often,..so e-mail me. :)
30/9/2009 12:33:46
Page 1 of 1, Total 9 1