Your are the 13045th Viewer
Previous Topic | Next Topic

Add to Favorite Print
Page 1 of 1, Total 13 1
AuthorPosts

Kali Wright
TotalPost:2
How to Mount Unstretched Canvas Reply

I am trying to figure out how to mount my unstretched canvas print to foam board. I tried spray adhesive but it didn't work. Should I use fabric glue? Any ideas?

How do you guys display your unstretched canvas prints?
    Thanks!
4/8/2009 4:55:56

Jana
TotalPost:204
RE:How to Mount Unstretched Canvas Reply

I remember we had to make our own frame back in high school to put a canvas on. It wasn't too bad. Just cut the wood and make a frame, stretch the canvas over it, and attach with staples in the back. I am not sure how this would work on a foam board, you could always ask somebody at the craft store or you could buy a finished canvas frame there, too. I've heard of people framing the unstretched canvases, too which might be kind of a waste to have a canvas but they said that it actually looked good...

>I am trying to figure out how to mount my unstretched canvas print to foam board. I tried spray adhesive but it didn't work. Should I use fabric glue? Any ideas?
    >
    >How do you guys display your unstretched canvas prints?
    >Thanks!
4/8/2009 5:21:47

Alana
TotalPost:2347
RE:RE:How to Mount Unstretched Canvas Reply

From what I hear there isn't much play in the canvas for stretching.
    If this is true, the standard choice would be to use a traditional frame it w/o glass. There are plenty of ways to get creative though. I would not use spray adhesive though as it could affect the quality of the canvas.

I would attach a rigid frame, perhaps wood slats attached together on the top and bottom of the canvas around all four sides of the canvas and then attach to a solid back such that the canvas is taunt across the solid back.

There are a few different "canvas" products offered by Artscow now though, so be sure that the product you work with is meant for stretching, and don't go beyond the limits of the material.

4/8/2009 11:27:57

Berry
TotalPost:1021

4/8/2009 11:36:35

Kali Wright
TotalPost:2

5/8/2009 0:31:34

DeniseAck
TotalPost:80

Hi--What did you wind up doing?

I created four 12x18 unstretched canvases last month. The quality of the canvas is very good, however it didn't indicate anywhere that there is no white edge to stretch it myself. To stretch it, I will have to lose over an inch on each side, which will make my image look very wrong. Putting it behind glass defeats the purpose of having it printed on canvas vs. photo paper in addition to the extra cost! Really, how is the customer supposed to enjoy them? They can't be stretched since there is no extra stretching room, they can't be framed without glass to hold them down, they can't be dry mounted because the canvas is too heavy for the adhesive to hold. They sell stretched canvases, and they sell canvases for the customer to stretch themselves as a cheaper option. To not be able to stretch them at home is misleading advertising!

I went to Michael's craft store and the framing people said that to create a stretcher frame for the canvas to go around would take off about 1.5 inches on each side. So instead of a 12x18 final image, I'd wind up with 9x15. That loses an awful lot of my image! Even with the 60% off coupon they have every week, it would cost upwards of $50. They were the ones who told me that the drymount process and/or using the spray adhesive on foam core wouldn't work. I've searched high and low and the best option I can find is using a special glue to attach it to masonite hardboard. Gator board and a product called "pres on" self adhesive board might work too. I never expected such a headache when ordering these. If only the product was described properly!!!!!!

After emailing back and forth to AC, I was told I'll have to send them back to get a refund. It would cost me $25 to ship the canvases to Hong Kong. Even though the item is not advertised correctly, they won't refund the shipping fee. I'm waiting to see if I can cut them up and email a photo as proof to avoid the whole international shipping cost.

I am so frustrated with ArtsCow!!! I'm starting to think it's not worth doing business with them since they are in Hong Kong. If they were in the US, returns would be about $5.50. The fact that they operate from overseas shouldn't be at the cost of the customer. The fact that we here in the US have to wait 2-3 weeks for shipping is enough of a trade-off. They make customers feel like we have no recourse if the product doesn't come out as expected--even though they have a "100% satisfaction guarantee"!

There are other posts where people expected to be able to hang them somehow--seems like I'm not alone!
    http://forum.artscow.com/ShowPost.aspx?ThreadId=46364
    http://forum.artscow.com/ShowPost.aspx?ThreadId=57785
    http://forum.artscow.com/ShowPost.aspx?ThreadId=37355
11/12/2010 6:26:17

ann
TotalPost:188

Here is my low-cost, low-tech solution: I did this with 16 x 20 canvas prints. At the craft/hobby store (Joann Fabric) I purchased a can of Aleene's acid-free tacky spray, a 16 x 20 frame and some foam board. I cut the board to 16 x 20, sprayed the board and smoothed the canvas onto the board. (It was very easy to work with since the adhesive doesn't set for about 30 minutes, you have time to make sure there are no wrinkles or bubbles). Then I placed the canvas covered foam board into the frame after removing the glass. It looks great.

The biggest problem was the first frame I bought had the glass glued into it.

However,I read here that someone suggested treating these canvas prints with Scotchguard...and I have to say I cannot recommend this, since it totally ruined my canvas print (made a film of white which did not completely brush off)and I had to reorder the print.
11/1/2011 11:51:46

Laurie Olson
TotalPost:7

I buy a lot of the canvases - stretched & flat. Some I stretch over my own bars cut from 1x2 pine, I just design the piece knowing I will loose a couple of inches on each side. I mount he unstretched or flat canvases on 3/8 or 1/2" panels cut from plywood or MDF. I use an acid free spray adhesive - spraying both pieces & letting them dry a bit before attaching to each other. I make sure the flat panel is sealed with an acrylic sealer or painted before I spray adhesive on it so the wood does not absorb the glue - maybe that's what happened with your foam board. Sometimes I do have to go back with a small brush & a bit of acid free glue to touch up any edges that may have not gotten enough spray. Word of caution, DO NOT get glue on the printed side of your canvas, it will ruin your image.

I seal my canvases with a product called Premier Print shield, it is used specifically with the types of ink A/C uses for the canvases, under $20 a can. I've had great success with the spray, it gives the canvas a beautiful finish & is quite durable. Hope this helps.

>I am trying to figure out how to mount my unstretched canvas print to foam board. I tried spray adhesive but it didn't work. Should I use fabric glue? Any ideas?
    >
    >How do you guys display your unstretched canvas prints?
    >Thanks!
1/2/2011 14:02:23

toddriehle Capricorn
TotalPost:1

I am using wooden frame to stretch my canvas prints.

-----------------------------------------------
    crisp canvas prints
5/2/2012 1:26:27

Robert Reilly
TotalPost:7

I've done a couple. You can just use a staple gun with the smaller length staples and drive a staple every couple inches as you pull it taught around the board. Reminded me of uphostering a chair seat. If you use raw boards they do not have a good shape to them - the edges are too sharp, and the inside edge leaves a shape impression you'll see in the finished project - you want the whole frame to bevel in slightly.

This is why you are better off going to a craft store and getting the four piece kit.

If you choose to make your own stretcher frame, check out how they bevel the front face inward toward the center on the professional ones, and sand down the outside edges and corners to prevent tearing and premature wear.
7/2/2012 12:35:42

robinhood005
TotalPost:18

I would connect a firm shape, perhaps wood panels connected together on the top and bottom of the fabric around all four sides of the fabric and then affix to a strong returning such that the fabric is taunt across the strong returning.
    Banners
    Display Stands
4/4/2012 20:18:03

iptables101
TotalPost:63
RE:RE:RE:How to Mount Unstretched Canvas Reply

Hi Kali. I was just wondering if you were able to finish this. I would also like to see the preview if it is possible.

>>You can search youtube for lots of instructions.
    >>
    >>http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+stretch+canvas&search_type=&aq=f
    >
    >I don't want to stretch the canvas, I want to keep it unstretched and mount it on a foam board.

Mastery through repition.
7/10/2012 23:05:17

Mary W. Rice
TotalPost:3
RE:RE:RE:How to Mount Unstretched Canvas Reply

>Here is my low-cost, low-tech solution: I did this with 16 x 20 canvas prints. At the craft/hobby store (Joann Fabric) I purchased a can of Aleene's acid-free tacky spray, a 16 x 20 frame and some foam board. I cut the board to 16 x 20, sprayed the board and smoothed the canvas onto the board. (It was very easy to work with since the adhesive doesn't set for about 30 minutes, you have time to make sure there are no wrinkles or bubbles). Then I placed the canvas covered foam board into the frame after removing the glass. It looks great.
    >
    >The biggest problem was the first frame I bought had the glass glued into it.
    >
    >However,I read here that someone suggested treating these canvas prints with Scotchguard...and I have to say I cannot recommend this, since it totally ruined my canvas print (made a film of white which did not completely brush off)and I had to reorder the print.

I had bought 3 canvas from joann yesterday. Got many coupons and still have some unused. Have this one.

joanns coupons
21/11/2013 14:29:52
Page 1 of 1, Total 13 1