Your are the 6787th Viewer
Previous Topic | Next Topic

Add to Favorite Print
Page 2 of 5, Total 96 1 2 3 4 5
AuthorPosts

Joan T
TotalPost:24
RE:RE:Designer Chat Thread~~~~ Reply

>I don't make very much at my store (probably $5 a month). I tried selling them on ebay, but they are very anti digi products. So, most of my stuff was taken down, but I still make about $8 a month from ebay. Then I found the kit contest here and I make at leaste $5-$10 a week with my kits. It is great!
    How do you mean ebay was anti digi products? I used to sell bear patterns digitally on ebay about 4 years ago so I am wondering what you meant.
17/8/2009 8:15:56

Danielle Christiansen
TotalPost:201
RE:RE:RE:Designer Chat Thread~~~~ Reply

Sooze you crack me up! But I agree with every word. I may get a sell here and there on my store site but artscow gets me at least $5 a week sometimes more. Don't even get me started on the hours it takes to design. my husband has come to the conclusion that I never sleep....and you know what? he is right!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
17/8/2009 10:38:31

Sherri Tierney
TotalPost:52
RE:RE:RE:Designer Chat Thread~~~~ Reply

>Yeah, there's not as much money being made out there in digi stores as some scrappers would believe. I've read comments like "I only use freebies - those designers are making a lot of money"....or (and this one really pissed me off) "I'm proud to say that in my 3 years of digi scrapping I haven't paid for a single item!" So...with attitudes like that out there it makes it VERY difficult for us designers to make more than a few dollars each month. Break those few dollars down into the hours you spend creating your items and you probably work for pennies an hour! Just as well we all enjoy doing this - because it's certainly not for the money! I have to agree with you about the few bucks a month from artscow - it's been a Godsend to me recently.

LOL, I'm actually one of those scrappers who doesn't pay for products. I never really have. I started with freebies, went to a store CT, started designing myself and so on. Now I have access to the products of my fellow designers at the stores I sell at so I don't really need to purchase from anyone else. I have to say though that I am glad not everyone 'shops' like me because if they did, I would be out of business!!

>I've often seen questions in scrapping forums from people who want to "learn how to make kits and sell them so I can be a SAHM". Well, how do you answer that honestly without coming off as a sourpuss???? I'm sure there are a few well known designers who make a easonable part-tme income at this, but they must be a very small minority.

There is good money to be made designing. It is hard work though and a lot of people seem to think its 'easy money' which it is not. There are many factors involved including finding the right place to sell your products. Not all stores are created equal and the customer base at a particular store isn't always the kind of customer base that is looking for your products. You need to find the store that has the customer base that is looking for what you are selling. The industry is over-saturated with designers and stores and often customers find a store they like and stick with it rather than venturing in to the unknown.

If you aren't making what you think you should be making or what you would be happy with then its time to take a look a long, hard look at your business. Do you need to look for a different store? Do you need to market yourself more? Could you stand to change up your preview to be more appealing? Are your products themselves lacking? Are you taking yourself seriously as a designer or are you just 'dabbling'? Its all things to look at. I found that the biggest key for me was finding the right store... one that was a good fit with my style of product. I also constantly change and evolve as a designer because I find that scrappers needs/tastes are constantly evolving as well.
17/8/2009 13:20:19

Brooke Adkins (My-Time Scraps)
TotalPost:198
RE:RE:RE:RE:Designer Chat Thread~~~~ Reply

Hey Ya'll how is everyone doing on next weeks kits? Im doing pretty good I didnt do so good this week in the contest . My 1yr old started to walk today so I have a idea too do a few emblishments for that lol my oldest starts school K this year so I already bought some stuff to make a kit for that .

Brooke
18/8/2009 10:24:40

Sherri Tierney
RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:Designer Chat Thread~~~~ Reply

>Hey Ya'll how is everyone doing on next weeks kits? Im doing pretty good I didnt do so good this week in the contest . My 1yr old started to walk today so I have a idea too do a few emblishments for that lol my oldest starts school K this year so I already bought some stuff to make a kit for that .
    >
    >
    >Brooke

Do you mean as far as making stuff for next week? I haven't started my designing for the week yet. I have Wednesday, Friday and Sunday deadlines at my various stores so I typically start designing on Tuesday. LOL
19/8/2009 4:44:45

Danielle Christiansen
RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:Designer Chat Thread~~~~ Reply

Well, I have made a few since this week bombed for me too.
    What do you mean by bought some stuff to make your kits? Don't you design them yourself?
19/8/2009 8:34:42

RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:Designer Chat Thread~~~~ Reply

Yea I do but I bought the little people in my last few kits but I do all the ribbons and buttons and papers and overlays and frames lol Im just still not very good at doing people . It costs alot thought to buy things for commerical use so I prolly wont be doing that anymore Lol...

>Well, I have made a few since this week bombed for me too.
    >What do you mean by bought some stuff to make your kits? Don't you design them yourself?
19/8/2009 8:40:42

Danielle Christiansen
RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:Designer Chat Thread~~~~ Reply

ooooh. o.k. Your people were very cute!
    >
19/8/2009 8:53:01

J. Chan
TotalPost:28
RE:Designer Chat Thread~~~~ Reply

>Yea I do but I bought the little people in my last few kits but I do all the ribbons and buttons and papers and overlays and frames lol Im just still not very good at doing people . It costs alot thought to buy things for commerical use so I prolly wont be doing that anymore Lol...
    >

I agree...buying licenses for commercial use do cost a lot of money and it sucks when the money spent is not making you money in return....sighz....
19/8/2009 10:08:42

RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:Designer Chat Thread~~~~ Reply

>ooooh. o.k. Your people were very cute!
    >>
    >

Ahhhh Danielle thanks :) I tried haha ... well after about 2 more kits that will be the only people I buy I just cant afford to buy anymore right now anyway. its fun to shop threw the commerical stuff though and addicting.

So we are in FL right now taking the boys to the ocean I cant wait to get home to scrap it we got some great Pics and a picture of hubby me and our kids all looking in one direction lol .

19/8/2009 10:46:04

RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:Designer Chat Thread~~~~ Reply

>ooooh. o.k. Your people were very cute!
    >>
    >

Ahhhh Danielle thanks :) I tried haha ... well after about 2 more kits that will be the only people I buy I just cant afford to buy anymore right now anyway. its fun to shop threw the commerical stuff though and addicting.

So we are in FL right now taking the boys to the ocean I cant wait to get home to scrap it we got some great Pics and a picture of hubby me and our kids all looking in one direction lol .

19/8/2009 10:46:08

Sherri Tierney
RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:Designer Chat Thread~~~~ Reply

Ugh! I am trying to upload my product for this week and it is soooo slow! I wanted it ready for when the contest switched... of course, I should have woke up earlier. I didn't get up until 15 minutes before that, LOL. That's 10:45 here. The hubby let me sleep in. :)

Oh and the frame thing... I hate uploading frames. LOL I'm so not used to this! Those of you with lots of frames amaze me! :)
23/8/2009 0:15:45

Danielle Christiansen
RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:Designer Chat Thread~~~~ Reply

I know frames are a pain. I spend a few minutes on each one getting them right

>Ugh! I am trying to upload my product for this week and it is soooo slow! I wanted it ready for when the contest switched... of course, I should have woke up earlier. I didn't get up until 15 minutes before that, LOL. That's 10:45 here. The hubby let me sleep in. :)
23/8/2009 0:24:15

RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:Designer Chat Thread~~~~ Reply

Ugh from me too.. what is up with things latley? are any of you haveing problems with your frames switching back to emblishments? or all of it for that matter ? my brothers kit all went back to that I know I did those frames. UGHhhh well ill fix it agian later.

Im hoping to win one spot this week But ya'll are so good its hard to keep up with you all..

Brooke.

>I know frames are a pain. I spend a few minutes on each one getting them right
    >
    >>Ugh! I am trying to upload my product for this week and it is soooo slow! I wanted it ready for when the contest switched... of course, I should have woke up earlier. I didn't get up until 15 minutes before that, LOL. That's 10:45 here. The hubby let me sleep in. :)
    >
23/8/2009 3:10:35

Sherri Tierney
RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:Designer Chat Thread~~~~ Reply

I haven't had trouble with frames switching to embellishments, thankfully. I just struggle to get the mask right on them. My hubby does stuff like that at work so when I get too frustrated I call him over and let him do it for me. LOL

>Ugh from me too.. what is up with things latley? are any of you haveing problems with your frames switching back to emblishments? or all of it for that matter ? my brothers kit all went back to that I know I did those frames. UGHhhh well ill fix it agian later.
    >
    >
    >Im hoping to win one spot this week But ya'll are so good its hard to keep up with you all..
    >
    >
    >Brooke.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >>I know frames are a pain. I spend a few minutes on each one getting them right
    >>
    >>>Ugh! I am trying to upload my product for this week and it is soooo slow! I wanted it ready for when the contest switched... of course, I should have woke up earlier. I didn't get up until 15 minutes before that, LOL. That's 10:45 here. The hubby let me sleep in. :)
    >>
    >
23/8/2009 9:25:18

Kathi Bothwell
TotalPost:25
RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:Designer Chat Thread~~~~ Reply

>Ugh from me too.. what is up with things latley? are any of you haveing problems with your frames switching back to emblishments? or all of it for that matter ? my brothers kit all went back to that I know I did those frames. UGHhhh well ill fix it agian later.
    >
    >
    >Im hoping to win one spot this week But ya'll are so good its hard to keep up with you all..
    >
    >
    >Brooke.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >>I know frames are a pain. I spend a few minutes on each one getting them right
    >>
    >>>Ugh! I am trying to upload my product for this week and it is soooo slow! I wanted it ready for when the contest switched... of course, I should have woke up earlier. I didn't get up until 15 minutes before that, LOL. That's 10:45 here. The hubby let me sleep in. :)
    >>
    >

The only time I had anything switch was when Berry changed some of my frames that I had set as embellishments into frames like they were supposed to be.

I have only added a few frames because I find the mask so difficult to work with. Wouldn't it be easier if the customer used a mask to put their picture on the page and then moved the frame over the top of their photo. What if they don't want it perfectly centered in the frame. If we put the frame masks in they may not be able to use it they way that they want to.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Kathi B
    Digi Dandy Designs
23/8/2009 9:47:45

RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:Designer Chat Thread~~~~ Reply

kathi-

Ya i think what happened is i forgot to hit save after i changed them.. I agree i think im going to leave the frames alone also so they can place them where they want them .

Brooke

>>Ugh from me too.. what is up with things latley? are any of you haveing problems with your frames switching back to emblishments? or all of it for that matter ? my brothers kit all went back to that I know I did those frames. UGHhhh well ill fix it agian later.
    >>
    >>
    >>Im hoping to win one spot this week But ya'll are so good its hard to keep up with you all..
    >>
    >>
    >>Brooke.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>>I know frames are a pain. I spend a few minutes on each one getting them right
    >>>
    >>>>Ugh! I am trying to upload my product for this week and it is soooo slow! I wanted it ready for when the contest switched... of course, I should have woke up earlier. I didn't get up until 15 minutes before that, LOL. That's 10:45 here. The hubby let me sleep in. :)
    >>>
    >>
    >
    >The only time I had anything switch was when Berry changed some of my frames that I had set as embellishments into frames like they were supposed to be.
    >
    >I have only added a few frames because I find the mask so difficult to work with. Wouldn't it be easier if the customer used a mask to put their picture on the page and then moved the frame over the top of their photo. What if they don't want it perfectly centered in the frame. If we put the frame masks in they may not be able to use it they way that they want to.
23/8/2009 9:57:37

Danielle Christiansen
RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:Designer Chat Thread~~~~ Reply

>I have only added a few frames because I find the mask so difficult to work with. Wouldn't it be easier if the customer used a mask to put their picture on the page and then moved the frame over the top of their photo. What if they don't want it perfectly centered in the frame. If we put the frame masks in they may not be able to use it they way that they want to.

Kathy- it is easier for the customer to just pop their picture in then to have to hassle with adding a layout and then when you move that layout to a different sopt having to move both the frames and layouts.
    They can move left,right up and down so it does not have to be centered. It is a pain but even I find it easier that way when I need a quick book.
23/8/2009 10:38:11

RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:Designer Chat Thread~~~~ Reply

another thing I noticed also that we need to do the mask for them is . you cant add a circle layout to your page and then move a circle frame over it . or the odd shape frames so I guess it is a good idea we do it . even though its a pain.

>
    >>I have only added a few frames because I find the mask so difficult to work with. Wouldn't it be easier if the customer used a mask to put their picture on the page and then moved the frame over the top of their photo. What if they don't want it perfectly centered in the frame. If we put the frame masks in they may not be able to use it they way that they want to.
    >
    >Kathy- it is easier for the customer to just pop their picture in then to have to hassle with adding a layout and then when you move that layout to a different sopt having to move both the frames and layouts.
    >They can move left,right up and down so it does not have to be centered. It is a pain but even I find it easier that way when I need a quick book.
23/8/2009 20:42:44

Joan T
TotalPost:24
RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:Designer Chat Thread~~~~ Reply

>another thing I noticed also that we need to do the mask for them is . you cant add a circle layout to your page and then move a circle frame over it . or the odd shape frames so I guess it is a good idea we do it . even though its a pain.

I just find the whole frame thing so messy, especially the circular one and unusal shaped ones. Because of this I am not adding them to my Artscow kits after this week.
23/8/2009 21:38:36
Page 2 of 5, Total 96 1 2 3 4 5