Your are the 368th Viewer
Previous Topic | Next Topic

Add to Favorite Print
Page 1 of 1, Total 7 1
AuthorPosts

Kristen
TotalPost:3
7x5 Photobook problems Reply

I have been trying all morning to get my digital scrapbook layouts to fit in this 7x5 album without being cut off on the edges. Is there anyone here that has uploaded your own digital layouts without using Artscows preset designs? I'm beyond frustrated. I've tried resizing my layouts as much as an 1" on each side and they STILL dont fit in right.

Any help would be appreciated.
7/11/2009 6:33:13

Alana
TotalPost:2347
RE:7x5 Photobook problems Reply

>I have been trying all morning to get my digital scrapbook layouts to fit in this 7x5 album without being cut off on the edges. Is there anyone here that has uploaded your own digital layouts without using Artscows preset designs? I'm beyond frustrated. I've tried resizing my layouts as much as an 1" on each side and they STILL dont fit in right.
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated.

I recently finished a 5x7" book which I did entirely outside of AC and uploaded and dropped into place. I made each of the pages 5.5" x 7.5" AND allowed for an extra 1/4" safety border along the inside of the page to keep my designs from being cut off during printing. SO, anything of importance actually was w/i 4.75" x 6.75"

Here's the preview:
    http://www.artscow.com/share/q3if30cv8j84

Is that somewhat like what you are hoping to accomplish? Let me know if allowing the extra border does not accomplish what you want. I am guessing that your issue is not resizing, but rather adding an extra border to be absorbed into the bleed area.
7/11/2009 6:55:00

Kristen
RE:RE:7x5 Photobook problems Reply

Thanks for the information. Yes, I have created all of my digital layouts outside of Artscow (using Photoshop Elements 5), I will try to save the jpgs the size you recommend and see if they fit in on the blank backgrounds. I'm so terribly frustrated right now - I hope this works! I want these for Christmas gifts!!!!

Kristen
7/11/2009 7:07:31

Alana
RE:RE:RE:7x5 Photobook problems Reply

Actually, what I would recommend, as a test, don't increase the image size, instead increase the canvas size and fill the space with either with your background paper if that's easy to do, or just a plain color. Then flatten the image, upload it to AC and drop it in to see how it works. This might illustrate to you how much gets eaten up by the bleed area. I really think the problem is your bleed area. You can change the size of the image all you want and it's not going to fix the problem. You need to add a throwaway portion which can extend into the bleed area.
7/11/2009 7:16:18

Kristen
RE:RE:RE:RE:7x5 Photobook problems Reply

So, keep my layout at a 7x5 - increase the canvas size greater than 7x5? Then throw in a background color to compensate for the bleed? I'm new to all of this, so it's a bit confusing to me still. Thanks.
7/11/2009 7:20:50

Alana
RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:7x5 Photobook problems Reply

>So, keep my layout at a 7x5 - increase the canvas size greater than 7x5? Then throw in a background color to compensate for the bleed? I'm new to all of this, so it's a bit confusing to me still. Thanks.

Maybe this will help. The inner blue line represents what I am calling the Safety Line. The black line represents the desired page border. The space between the black border line and the outside of the page is the bleed area. Anything in the space between the blue safety line and the black boarder is in danger of being cut-off. So if there is something imperative to your design, be sure to keep it inside the imaginary safety area. So in the first example, the design will look exactly as you see it. In the second example, there is a possibility that some of the barn and some of the sunflowers will be cut off on either side of the page. The grass and sky would not effect the design, and it is up to the designer to decide if the barn and sunflowers would or not.

7/11/2009 7:23:26

Alana
RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:7x5 Photobook problems Reply

I edited my response, but I probably should have just made it a new one. So this is so you get a message that my response is NEW.
8/11/2009 11:15:57
Page 1 of 1, Total 7 1