Your are the 570th Viewer
Previous Topic | Next Topic

Add to Favorite Print
Page 1 of 1, Total 3 1
AuthorPosts

Harris Stevens
TotalPost:16
GreyArea (lay out) for photo book cover??? Reply

I am almost finished with my 80 pp photo book.
    I am designing from scratch, not using cover templates.
    All I want is the cover (ft./bk) to be solid black with a small photo centered on the front,with title above the picture,and "by author" underneath. So I used the "background" button and selected full black. Then I used the "add layout" and made a small box in the center and dropped my photo into it. Used "add text" boxes both above and below the photo and typed my text.

My Q is...the "black" "layout" fills the whole book except the greyed area surrounding the template. I keep getting warning messages to "extend my photo beyond the greyed area or I will have white strips around the book edge.
    I am not bleeding a photo to the book edge. I only want a black, smooth background to fill the entire book cover to the edge.
    Am I doing it right? or should the black cover background somehow extend into the grey area???? HELP!
20/2/2010 0:57:36

Catvinnat
TotalPost:627
RE:GreyArea (lay out) for photo book cover??? Reply

>I am almost finished with my 80 pp photo book.
    >I am designing from scratch, not using cover templates.
    >All I want is the cover (ft./bk) to be solid black with a small photo centered on the front,with title above the picture,and "by author" underneath. So I used the "background" button and selected full black. Then I used the "add layout" and made a small box in the center and dropped my photo into it. Used "add text" boxes both above and below the photo and typed my text.
    >
    >My Q is...the "black" "layout" fills the whole book except the greyed area surrounding the template. I keep getting warning messages to "extend my photo beyond the greyed area or I will have white strips around the book edge.
    >I am not bleeding a photo to the book edge. I only want a black, smooth background to fill the entire book cover to the edge.
    >Am I doing it right? or should the black cover background somehow extend into the grey area???? HELP!

the black background needs to fill all of the grey area but it should do this automatically when you use the background function. I am guessing that you are only getting the warning when you hover over the bleed areas. Its a general warning, doesn't necessarilly mean the bleed area is not filled. Sounds like its actually ok. If in doubt use the check book facility available in the forum, it usually takes a couple of days but they will check the bleed areas for you
20/2/2010 7:18:06

Harris Stevens
TotalPost:16
RE:RE:GreyArea (lay out) for photo book cover??? Reply

>
    >
    >the black background needs to fill all of the grey area but it should do this automatically when you use the background function. I am guessing that you are only getting the warning when you hover over the bleed areas. Its a general warning, doesn't necessarilly mean the bleed area is not filled. Sounds like its actually ok. If in doubt use the check book facility available in the forum, it usually takes a couple of days but they will check the bleed areas for you

I am not sure I understand you.

There are"two"edges in the cover designer. The inner edge is the actual edge of the book (8X8) and the grey area which I believe is the "fold-over" portion, is grey.
    When I highlight the cover and then use the "background" button, choosing black as the "solid" color,the "black fill only reaches to the inner edge.

It will not go into, or am I able to"stretch the black background portion to extend into the grey overlapped area.

I just want a solid black background from edge to edge on my covers...Do I need to be doing something else,or is what I did ok for what I want?
20/2/2010 15:50:02
Page 1 of 1, Total 3 1