Your are the 15852th Viewer
Previous Topic | Next Topic

Add to Favorite Print
Page 1 of 1, Total 7 1
AuthorPosts

Samantha Sweezy Virgo
TotalPost:2
Stretched vs. Unstretched Reply

Hello! I tried to search to see if someone had posted something similar - so if this is a duplicate, I apologize!

I am trying to find out what the difference is between stretched and unstretched. What is the benefit and can unstretched become stretched? And if so, how or where do you do that? I am wanting to do a large canvas print from my wedding, but I don't want to mount it behind glass and have it just look like a large poster sized print (and not on canvas).

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Samantha
22/6/2010 23:03:39

Chris Wuestefeld
TotalPost:6
RE:Stretched vs. Unstretched Reply

>I am trying to find out what the difference is between stretched and unstretched. What is
    > the benefit and can unstretched become stretched? And if so, how or where do you do that?

UNstretched canvas means you'll just get a flat piece of canvas. In fact, from some other companies I've got them rolled up in tubes.

stretched canvas means there's a frame behind the canvas, with the picture being stretched out over it. Depending on what you want, this might be suitable for display as it is, or you may want to put a real picture frame around the stretched canvas.

So obviously unstretched is cheaper. But you've got to do something to make it presentable, which means that you'll want to have it stretched at some point (although I've heard some people talk about gluing it to a cardboard backing instead). It seems like ArtsCow's prices are good enough that it's probably better to let them do it (IMHO). It's possible to do this yourself, but you need the stretcher frames, and you need to know what you're doing.
22/6/2010 23:44:55

Samantha Sweezy Virgo
TotalPost:2
RE:RE:Stretched vs. Unstretched Reply

>>I am trying to find out what the difference is between stretched and unstretched. What is
    >> the benefit and can unstretched become stretched? And if so, how or where do you do that?
    >
    >UNstretched canvas means you'll just get a flat piece of canvas. In fact, from some other companies I've got them rolled up in tubes.
    >
    >stretched canvas means there's a frame behind the canvas, with the picture being stretched out over it. Depending on what you want, this might be suitable for display as it is, or you may want to put a real picture frame around the stretched canvas.
    >
    >So obviously unstretched is cheaper. But you've got to do something to make it presentable, which means that you'll want to have it stretched at some point (although I've heard some people talk about gluing it to a cardboard backing instead). It seems like ArtsCow's prices are good enough that it's probably better to let them do it (IMHO). It's possible to do this yourself, but you need the stretcher frames, and you need to know what you're doing.

Chris,

Thank you so much for your post! Now if Artscow would only put their stretched on a larger canvas! :)

-----------------------------------------------
    Thanks!!

~~Samantha
    Email: fluff7@me.com
    Chat: samanthamccain@yahoo.com
23/6/2010 0:04:58

Kylee
TotalPost:60
RE:RE:RE:Stretched vs. Unstretched Reply

Hi there,
    I bought unstretched and tried to stretch myself (I was going to be charged $50 each for a framer to do a 16 x 20 canvas), for the very reason you suggest - artcows stretched just aren't big enough. They have turned out pretty well, the biggest problem however is making sure that what you are left with after the photo is wrapped around the side and back still looks okay, you lose an awful lot of the picture, can be up to 2-3 inches on EACH side depending on thickess of your canvas frame, most other sites have much bigger sizes to choose from, would be great if artscow could too!!!
26/6/2010 6:50:23

Kylee
TotalPost:60
RE:RE:RE:Stretched vs. Unstretched Reply

Hi there,
    I bought unstretched and tried to stretch myself (I was going to be charged $50 each for a framer to do a 16 x 20 canvas), for the very reason you suggest - artcows stretched just aren't big enough. They have turned out pretty well, the biggest problem however is making sure that what you are left with after the photo is wrapped around the side and back still looks okay, you lose an awful lot of the picture, can be up to 2-3 inches on EACH side depending on thickess of your canvas frame, most other sites have much bigger sizes to choose from, would be great if artscow could too!!!
26/6/2010 6:53:52

Ezra Nicholson
TotalPost:6
RE:Stretched vs. Unstretched Reply

I have a question about the unstretched canvas items. If I order a 16 x 20 unstretched canvas what do I get? Do I get a 16 x20 piece of canvas that is entirely covered by my image or do I get a piece of canvas that is larger than 16 x 20 that enables me to stretch it to fit a 16 x 20 frame? Any help would be appreciated.

>Hello! I tried to search to see if someone had posted something similar - so if this is a duplicate, I apologize!
    >
    >I am trying to find out what the difference is between stretched and unstretched. What is the benefit and can unstretched become stretched? And if so, how or where do you do that? I am wanting to do a large canvas print from my wedding, but I don't want to mount it behind glass and have it just look like a large poster sized print (and not on canvas).
    >
    >Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    >Thanks in advance!
    >
    >Samantha

31/7/2010 4:08:13

barbara bain
TotalPost:1
RE:RE:Stretched vs. Unstretched Reply

You get the 16x20 that is entirely coverd with your photo. I used Creative Memories software to create a 2" border (that matched the background color)all around my photo so that I would be able to retain all the photo in the frame. Also do not let any moisture come in contact will the canvas. It will smear it.
    >I have a question about the unstretched canvas items. If I order a 16 x 20 unstretched canvas what do I get? Do I get a 16 x20 piece of canvas that is entirely covered by my image or do I get a piece of canvas that is larger than 16 x 20 that enables me to stretch it to fit a 16 x 20 frame? Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >>Hello! I tried to search to see if someone had posted something similar - so if this is a duplicate, I apologize!
    >>
    >>I am trying to find out what the difference is between stretched and unstretched. What is the benefit and can unstretched become stretched? And if so, how or where do you do that? I am wanting to do a large canvas print from my wedding, but I don't want to mount it behind glass and have it just look like a large poster sized print (and not on canvas).
    >>
    >>Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance!
    >>
    >>Samantha

>
2/8/2010 7:26:17
Page 1 of 1, Total 7 1