Your are the 1088th Viewer
Previous Topic | Next Topic

Add to Favorite Print
Page 1 of 1, Total 20 1
AuthorPosts

claire mcallen
TotalPost:11
Clarification on what a designers own original artwork is please Reply

Hello, I am new to this site, I have been quietly working my socks off trying to learn the rules of engagement. Which is quite hard as there is nothing clearly written down. There is this :
    'they must be created by yourself originally. NEVER upload other designer's artworks here. Copyright infringement may cause your account to be suspended forever.' and yet this is clearly not being adhered to.
    and in the competition there is this: Original Works. All entries must be the original designs and creations of the entrants, unless written authorization from the intellectual property owner is provided at the time of entry submission. Contestants agree to indemnify and hold harmless ArtsCow.com any copyright, trademark, or other intellectual property infringement claim or liability with regard to their submissions.
    'Contestants are responsible for compliance with applicable laws in jurisdictions where they reside.
    By entering this contest, entrants automatically agree to be bound by the terms of this contest as listed in this Contest Terms and Conditions.
    Failure to adhere to the terms and conditions listed in this Contest Terms and Conditions will result in disqualification of any submitted entries, and the nullification of contestant privileges to further participate in the contest. '

yet designers 'seem' to be winning the competition with artwork which is clearly not their own.Which should be impossible if you have uploaded into your kit after agreeing to this 'NEVER upload other designer's artworks here' I may be poking the big elephant in the room, but I actually really would like some clarification please.

For instance it seems that if a picture is taken of something it is allowed, but a picture of something that someone else has created such as a can of campbells soup, is that really the artists own work? Papers that I have clearly seen from kits that are bought, buttons and bows, with just the colour changed are these ok? Then full on graphics bought from shutter stock, even if you have permission to resell is it your own design?

Please be kind in your replies as I am new and still trying to understand this areana

Claire

[/color][/color]
6/2/2012 19:07:34

snackpackgu
TotalPost:144
RE:Clarification on what a designers own original artwork is please Reply

In the scrapbooking industry, designers can buy commercial use items and thereby purchase a commercial use license to use those items according to the terms of the TOU of that particular CU seller. Most CU designers require that you make a derivative design which is then your own creation and which you can then resell as a personal use item or S4H (depending on the TOU). That is part of the license agreement for which you pay for. There are also many wonderful template designers who offer layered templates which you can apply styles to and then go on to create wonderful elements.

From your post:
    All entries must be the original designs and creations of the entrants, unless written authorization from the intellectual property owner is provided at the time of entry submission.

Isn't that what a commercial use license is? ....written authorization that one pays for?

How does Artscow view this? Not sure but I did contact them last night and talked with someone on the phone regarding this as someone (you maybe?) had sent them an email stating that my bees in my kit "My Back Yard" were not my design and were copyrighted. Actually, those were layered templates that I purchased from an amazing CU template designer and which come in black and white layers on which I created my own styles, shadows, etc. and applied those to make the bees. I emailed Artscow my receipt for the purchase of those templates, a copy of the TOU commercial license and screen shots of the bees in their original form before I applied styles. I believe that my work falls within the guidelines but of course, it's there decision.

-----------------------------------------------
    Snackpackgu's Free Templates - http://www.artscow.com/design-templates/snackpackgu

Snackpackgu's Scrapbooking Kits - http://www.artscow.com/digital-scrapbooking/snackpackgu

6/2/2012 21:47:02

claire mcallen
RE:RE:Clarification on what a designers own original artwork is please Reply

Dear Snackpack

If the competition is open to comercial use items then I wonder how can it ever be a level playing field? Wouldnt it then be down to who purchases the best profesional art? Sometimes it feels like someone entering an exam with a bought essay but changing the font and moving the content around a little. My feeling is this still would not contain an origanal idea which is what an original creation and design should be. For some kits, if they were striped of comercial use items there would be very little actually left in them.

Perhaps if there were a separate entry page for kits being entered into the competition, where only original artwork could be entered, and other kits could be uploaded but not be part of the competition. Entrants would have to declare that no items in the kit had been purchased or downloaded.

When I first started I was confused because I could only go on what I could see other designers doing, and their work is full of designs and pictures that are not their own, I once used a cupid that I got from a website that was for commercial use and someone complained. I was very embaressed that I had made such a mistake through misinterpreting the rules.

However, I spend literally hours hand drawing my pictures, then water colouring them and then uploading them. Its really hard work, if i want a button, I don't photograph one, I literally make it myself, no templates. I make all my own backgrounds, ribbons and frames.I should imagine that their are lots of designers who feel that the competion should be about more than just who has the best eye for comercial art.

This is not a personal attack on bees, or that you bought pictures of bees,nor am I saying that you didn't put effort and hard work into changing them, it is about people feeling rewarded for the effort they have put into an origanal creation.

Claire

>In the scrapbooking industry, designers can buy commercial use items and thereby purchase a commercial use license to use those items according to the terms of the TOU of that particular CU seller. Most CU designers require that you make a derivative design which is then your own creation and which you can then resell as a personal use item or S4H (depending on the TOU). That is part of the license agreement for which you pay for. There are also many wonderful template designers who offer layered templates which you can apply styles to and then go on to create wonderful elements.
    >
    >From your post:
    > All entries must be the original designs and creations of the entrants, unless written authorization from the intellectual property owner is provided at the time of entry submission.
    >
    >Isn't that what a commercial use license is? ....written authorization that one pays for?
    >
    >
    >How does Artscow view this? Not sure but I did contact them last night and talked with someone on the phone regarding this as someone (you maybe?) had sent them an email stating that my bees in my kit "My Back Yard" were not my design and were copyrighted. Actually, those were layered templates that I purchased from an amazing CU template designer and which come in black and white layers on which I created my own styles, shadows, etc. and applied those to make the bees. I emailed Artscow my receipt for the purchase of those templates, a copy of the TOU commercial license and screen shots of the bees in their original form before I applied styles. I believe that my work falls within the guidelines but of course, it's there decision.
    >
    >
    >
6/2/2012 22:55:55

snackpackgu
RE:RE:RE:Clarification on what a designers own original artwork is please Reply

Dear Snackpack

If the competition is open to comercial use items then I wonder how can it ever be a level playing field? Wouldnt it then be down to who purchases the best profesional art?

You clearly don't understand the concept of a commercial use item at all. You're supposed to make a derivative design from the original artwork, you cannot simply slap up someone else's art. In very few instances can you use something 'as is' but that's rare. Sometimes you may only have to change the color or hue of an item to comply with a TOU, but usually you must do so much more. And once a designer has made a kit - that kit is hers! She then has the copyright to everything she made - unless she used CU that specially states she cannot claim copyright even if she makes a derivative.

Your talk of a level playing field seems rather odd. Do you ever purchase digital scrapbooking supplies on-line? There are many stores ( I used to sell in a few, but I no longer have the time) and many, many designers. Many designers - in fact most I'd venture to say - use some commercial use items - but are able to turn those items into their own creations. That's what sets good designers apart.
    This is the template for my bee that you reported as being copyrighted (which is an outright lie, btw but I'm going to address that further on because I want to make a point and I'll get too angry if I start now). As you can see, in it's original form it's a simply layered template.

This is the bee after I choose kit colors, made styles and then shadowed it.

This second bee - the bee I MADE is mine - no copyright violation because that bee in that form is something I made and is mine! Not the original files no but that bee in that kit is a creation I made and I can claim copyright to this particular bee. Not sure you're getting this but I'm actually trying to be polite.

Perhaps if there were a separate entry page for kits being entered into the competition, where only original artwork could be entered, and other kits could be uploaded but not be part of the competition. Entrants would have to declare that no items in the kit had been purchased or downloaded.

Again I refer you back to this part of the rule:

All entries must be the original designs and creations of the entrants, unless written authorization from the intellectual property owner is provided at the time of entry submission.

A CU license is just that - written authorization to use their property. WHICH you must then make a derivative design - WHICH in the scrapbooking industry makes that design yours! CU is a base upon which you build your design - it's not the design itself.

When I first started I was confused because I could only go on what I could see other designers doing, and their work is full of designs and pictures that are not their own, I once used a cupid that I got from a website that was for commercial use and someone complained. I was very embaressed that I had made such a mistake through misinterpreting the rules.

Did you pay for the cupid or did you just right click and lift the photo? You have to purchase commercial use products and then abide by their Terms of Use! You cannot simply surf the web looking for photos to 'lift' and I'm using you generically. Unless they are in the public domain, photos on the web cannot be used for any type of commercial use.

However, I spend literally hours hand drawing my pictures, then water colouring them and then uploading them. Its really hard work, if i want a button, I don't photograph one, I literally make it myself, no templates. I make all my own backgrounds, ribbons and frames.I should imagine that their are lots of designers who feel that the competion should be about more than just who has the best eye for comercial art.

Don't you think the designers here also spend hours making their kits? There are some incredibly talented people on this site who make beautiful kits - some are absolute works of art. Do you think because they've used a CU item as a base that their design is not as good as yours? Or because they photographed a button or ribbon and then changed the color, trimmed the edges, etc. that they don't qualify? Obviously you do think that. Well let me ask you this. I see you have word art in your kits. Are those fonts you made yourself or did they come with your program. Because if those fonts came with your program, you did not make them yourself!! In fact, if you use anything that comes with your program except for basic shapes such as circle or square, you are using a commercial use items -granted it's a photoshop generic item, but nevertheless you did not make it yourself! If you say that you used that shape as a base to make a flower or frame or whatever, then I would say to you that's exactly what CU is - a base to build on. A base to make a derivative design.

This is not a personal attack on bees, or that you bought pictures of bees,nor am I saying that you didn't put effort and hard work into changing them, it is about people feeling rewarded for the effort they have put into an origanal creation.

Well honestly, it is personal because you sent an email to Artscow about me and probably many others on here. You told them I did not have copyright to the bees I made, but you are wrong - dead wrong. I made them from template shapes just as you make your flowers from shapes on your program. It's all the same. And the bee that I made with my own styles is copyrighted to me - it's mine!

This is just one of the misunderstandings that people who have never designed professionally in the industry have.

Tell me this: Do you check your color for gamut before you offer a kit for sale? Since you just have elements, I'm going to assume you don't. Yet in the scrapbooking industry that's a must especially working with a printing company. How do you know your colors are going to print correctly if your gamut is off? What happens when customers use your kit for their photobooks only to find out that the colors are muddied or worse yet, not even close to the original. Reds are notorious for this.

Do you do any kind of quality check on your items before uploading - mixing pixels, stray pixels, blurriness at 100%, etc?

I'm really not trying to be mean, even after what you did to me and others on here. But there's a lot more to professional designing than meets the eye and there are a lot of rules that perhaps you are unaware of. I honestly would be happy to point you to websites that can help you improve as a designer and scrapbooker. Just let me know.

Snackpackgu's Free Templates - http://www.artscow.com/design-templates/snackpackgu

Snackpackgu's Scrapbooking Kits - http://www.artscow.com/digital-scrapbooking/snackpackgu

7/2/2012 3:41:21

claire mcallen
RE:RE:RE:RE:Clarification on what a designers own original artwork is please Reply

In which bit of what I have said are you assuming that it was me who complained about that bee?
    And in which bit are you assuming that I am attacking people on this website?

I was polite in my question and my reply. However, your reply is deflamitory.As someone clearly complained about me in the past I think it woul be safe to say that another person felt upset by what was in your kit.

>Dear Snackpack
    >
    >If the competition is open to comercial use items then I wonder how can it ever be a level playing field? Wouldnt it then be down to who purchases the best profesional art?

>
    >You clearly don't understand the concept of a commercial use item at all. You're supposed to make a derivative design from the original artwork, you cannot simply slap up someone else's art. In very few instances can you use something 'as is' but that's rare. Sometimes you may only have to change the color or hue of an item to comply with a TOU, but usually you must do so much more. And once a designer has made a kit - that kit is hers! She then has the copyright to everything she made - unless she used CU that specially states she cannot claim copyright even if she makes a derivative.
    >
    >Your talk of a level playing field seems rather odd. Do you ever purchase digital scrapbooking supplies on-line? There are many stores ( I used to sell in a few, but I no longer have the time) and many, many designers. Many designers - in fact most I'd venture to say - use some commercial use items - but are able to turn those items into their own creations. That's what sets good designers apart.
    >This is the template for my bee that you reported as being copyrighted (which is an outright lie, btw but I'm going to address that further on because I want to make a point and I'll get too angry if I start now). As you can see, in it's original form it's a simply layered template.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >This is the bee after I choose kit colors, made styles and then shadowed it.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >This second bee - the bee I MADE is mine - no copyright violation because that bee in that form is something I made and is mine! Not the original files no but that bee in that kit is a creation I made and I can claim copyright to this particular bee. Not sure you're getting this but I'm actually trying to be polite.
    >
    >Perhaps if there were a separate entry page for kits being entered into the competition, where only original artwork could be entered, and other kits could be uploaded but not be part of the competition. Entrants would have to declare that no items in the kit had been purchased or downloaded.
    >
    >Again I refer you back to this part of the rule:
    >
    >All entries must be the original designs and creations of the entrants, unless written authorization from the intellectual property owner is provided at the time of entry submission.
    >
    >A CU license is just that - written authorization to use their property. WHICH you must then make a derivative design - WHICH in the scrapbooking industry makes that design yours! CU is a base upon which you build your design - it's not the design itself.
    >
    >When I first started I was confused because I could only go on what I could see other designers doing, and their work is full of designs and pictures that are not their own, I once used a cupid that I got from a website that was for commercial use and someone complained. I was very embaressed that I had made such a mistake through misinterpreting the rules.
    >
    >Did you pay for the cupid or did you just right click and lift the photo? You have to purchase commercial use products and then abide by their Terms of Use! You cannot simply surf the web looking for photos to 'lift' and I'm using you generically. Unless they are in the public domain, photos on the web cannot be used for any type of commercial use.
    >
    >However, I spend literally hours hand drawing my pictures, then water colouring them and then uploading them. Its really hard work, if i want a button, I don't photograph one, I literally make it myself, no templates. I make all my own backgrounds, ribbons and frames.I should imagine that their are lots of designers who feel that the competion should be about more than just who has the best eye for comercial art.
    >
    >Don't you think the designers here also spend hours making their kits? There are some incredibly talented people on this site who make beautiful kits - some are absolute works of art. Do you think because they've used a CU item as a base that their design is not as good as yours? Or because they photographed a button or ribbon and then changed the color, trimmed the edges, etc. that they don't qualify? Obviously you do think that. Well let me ask you this. I see you have word art in your kits. Are those fonts you made yourself or did they come with your program. Because if those fonts came with your program, you did not make them yourself!! In fact, if you use anything that comes with your program except for basic shapes such as circle or square, you are using a commercial use items -granted it's a photoshop generic item, but nevertheless you did not make it yourself! If you say that you used that shape as a base to make a flower or frame or whatever, then I would say to you that's exactly what CU is - a base to build on. A base to make a derivative design.
    >
    >This is not a personal attack on bees, or that you bought pictures of bees,nor am I saying that you didn't put effort and hard work into changing them, it is about people feeling rewarded for the effort they have put into an origanal creation.
    >
    >Well honestly, it is personal because you sent an email to Artscow about me and probably many others on here. You told them I did not have copyright to the bees I made, but you are wrong - dead wrong. I made them from template shapes just as you make your flowers from shapes on your program. It's all the same. And the bee that I made with my own styles is copyrighted to me - it's mine!
    >
    >This is just one of the misunderstandings that people who have never designed professionally in the industry have.
    >
    >Tell me this: Do you check your color for gamut before you offer a kit for sale? Since you just have elements, I'm going to assume you don't. Yet in the scrapbooking industry that's a must especially working with a printing company. How do you know your colors are going to print correctly if your gamut is off? What happens when customers use your kit for their photobooks only to find out that the colors are muddied or worse yet, not even close to the original. Reds are notorious for this.
    >
    >Do you do any kind of quality check on your items before uploading - mixing pixels, stray pixels, blurriness at 100%, etc?
    >
    >I'm really not trying to be mean, even after what you did to me and others on here. But there's a lot more to professional designing than meets the eye and there are a lot of rules that perhaps you are unaware of. I honestly would be happy to point you to websites that can help you improve as a designer and scrapbooker. Just let me know.
    >
    >
7/2/2012 3:55:58

snackpackgu
RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:Clarification on what a designers own original artwork is please Reply

In which bit of what I have said are you assuming that it was me who complained about that bee?
    And in which bit are you assuming that I am attacking people on this website?

I was polite in my question and my reply. However, your reply is deflamitory.As someone clearly complained about me in the past I think it woul be safe to say that another person felt upset by what was in your kit.

My response to you is in no way defamatory. It's a clear and honest response to your assertions that those of us who may use CU are not creating our own designs and that only those who design as you do, should be allowed to participate in the contest. That is how your response looked like to me.

7/2/2012 4:08:01

claire mcallen
RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:Clarification on what a designers own original artwork is please Reply

I came on here to get clarification, to better understand what I can and can not do, it feels to me that you have hyjacked my question to air your own agreived agenda. I am new, I am not a proffessional like you
    , and after your vehement attack I am left wondering if i even want to be a part of this site. I did not say that people who use CU are not designing and if Artscow are looking into your use of it then it is clearly not as cut and dried as you are asserting, however, that is between you and them!

>In which bit of what I have said are you assuming that it was me who complained about that bee?
    >And in which bit are you assuming that I am attacking people on this website?
    >
    >I was polite in my question and my reply. However, your reply is deflamitory.As someone clearly complained about me in the past I think it woul be safe to say that another person felt upset by what was in your kit.

>
    >My response to you is in way defamatory. It's a clear and honest response to your assertions that those of us who may use CU are not creating our own designs and that only those who design as you do, should be allowed to participate in the contest. That is how your response looked like to me.
7/2/2012 4:35:02

snackpackgu
Clarification on what a designers own original artwork is please Reply

Well actually it did look like you had an ax to grind as you made a lot of accusations in your original posts. As far as Artscow, as I've stated: I've already spoken to them in person and sent them my files and copies of my receipts. I stand by my assertion that the bees I made in their final form are copyrighted to me and are my creations. But whatever. This has become absurd.

Edited: Artscow has contacted me with their decision. My bees are just fine - there is no need to remove them!

7/2/2012 12:45:53

snackpackgu

I know this an old thread but I just wanted to comment about something I'm seeing in a kit/kits being offered for sale and/or free that have commercial use items that I recognize (because I also bought from the same designer).

Commercial use items must be CHANGED - they cannot be used 'as is' unless the designer specially states that it's OK to use 'as is'. The designer CU items I'm seeing clearly state in her TOU that you must do something with the CU - by changing color, adding on, etc. In other words, one cannot simply buy the items and then slap them up as theirs without changing something or adding something. The final element must be a derivative of that design not the original design.

Sorry to rant, but it really bugs me when people do this. It's just not right.

3/6/2012 8:20:03

PickleStar Scraps
TotalPost:27

I confess I went and checked back in my files to see if you were talking about me! LOL

Are you able to share which designer (original artist) you are talking about?

>I know this an old thread but I just wanted to comment about something I'm seeing in a kit/kits being offered for sale and/or free that have commercial use items that I recognize (because I also bought from the same designer).
    >
    >Commercial use items must be CHANGED - they cannot be used 'as is' unless the designer specially states that it's OK to use 'as is'. The designer CU items I'm seeing clearly state in her TOU that you must do something with the CU - by changing color, adding on, etc. In other words, one cannot simply buy the items and then slap them up as theirs without changing something or adding something. The final element must be a derivative of that design not the original design.
    >
    >Sorry to rant, but it really bugs me when people do this. It's just not right.
    >
    >
3/6/2012 20:07:32

snackpackgu

It wasn't you Cassie :)

I'd rather not 'out' the person, I just hope she sees this and does the right thing. I had noticed in earlier months that she had used Scrapin Cops items and not provided credit as per her TOU.

From scappin cops TOU:

There is a credit requirement in the form of a link back to my site or mention of my resources in your credit document or TOU if you use my Commercial Use downloads.

http://www.scrappincop.com/

But I let that go, because whatever. I'm not the digi police around here.

But I was visiting this forum the other day and saw this thread and re-read it. (Hope I didn't come off as a you know what.) And I started thinking about the how so many of us to try to make original artwork - whether that's templates or making derivative designs from CU. And I totally understand the point made by the author of the thread - I really do. So when I looked at the kits being offered and saw that at least one had MANY items from a specific designer that were just put up without being changed at all, it really kind of made me angry. It's just not fair at all to many on this site especially to the Artscow designers who are making their own items from scratch, like the author of this thread.

But as I said, I'm not the CU police. I was just hoping that the person in question would see this and do the right thing.

Here is the CU designer who's work is being used 'as is'.

http://www.shabbypickledesigns.com/boutique/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=91&sort=&sort_direction=&page=1

And here's her Terms Of Use.

Comercial Use by StarLight Designs

This license is not intended for large businesses or re-distributors. A commercial license does not give you the right to use these products
    in any way that you wish, please abide by all commercial licensing rules. Before you purchase a license please be sure to carefully read the
    terms that you will be agreeing to. Thank you!

--------------------
    COMMERCIAL USE
    --------------------

This product was created by StarLight Designs. The product is for Commercial use, but the product itself can not be resold - only product created USING THIS PRODUCT can be sold commercially.

Do not make kits or sets containing only items created using my items.

You can do make template with this items.

Do not use any images for obscene, defamatory, or immoral works or any other purpose which is prohibited by law.

Feel free to modify images (size, color, etc.) as necessary.

Don't make commercial use products with my kits.

YOU MAY:

-Use these products in your photography, scrapbooking and/or design business to the extent listed below:

-Create custom greeting cards, candy wrappers, layouts, invitations and other printed materials for your customers provided that they are finished pieces.
    This means that you may sell items that are printed but you may not sell a download or cd of any kind.

-You may use products incorporated into your designs to create scrapkits but may not be resold as a stand-alone product. You may not make brushes,
    rub-ons, or include in a kit for redistribution.

-You may use the graphics in your web design projects providing that proper credit is given on the website
    All website design must be for family friendly websites only. No indecent websites will be tolerated.
    We reserve the right to request this list at any time.

YOU MAY NOT:

-Claim these graphics as your own either in their original state, or in an altered state.

-Offer downloads of the kits/graphics in any way shape or form. Distribute these graphics in any format except for the uses defined above.

-Unless noted for commercial use, you may not make into an alpha product

-Print or have printed any of the original graphics, papers or kit pieces to sell in stores on websites or on ebay.
    You cannot buy a kit and print pieces or papers from it and sell those in stores or online shops.

Thank you for your purchase and your continued support!
    You may contact me at ivonka-85r@o2.pl

-Share these files with friends, family, etc. Please feel free to direct them to the store where you purchased your product.

-Sell these graphics through any means in their purchased format.

3/6/2012 22:08:46

PickleStar Scraps
RE:RE:RE:RE:Clarification on what a designers own original artwork is please Reply

Well those TOU are pretty clear aren't they. I'd not heard of that designer before - I went and looked at the link and she has some lovely things. And there's a SALE! LOL

I do have some purchased CU kits that allow me to use the designs 'as is' - it's why I bought them. They don't always need credit either. I guess it just re-affirms that before you upload something here to check those TOU's and make sure you're doing it right, as there are so many different types of CU requirements depending on the designer. :)

>http://www.shabbypickledesigns.com/boutique/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=91&sort=&sort_direction=&page=1
    >
    >And here's her Terms Of Use.
    >
    >Comercial Use by StarLight Designs
    >
    >This license is not intended for large businesses or re-distributors. A commercial license does not give you the right to use these products
    >in any way that you wish, please abide by all commercial licensing rules. Before you purchase a license please be sure to carefully read the
    >terms that you will be agreeing to. Thank you!
    >
    >--------------------
    >COMMERCIAL USE
    >--------------------
    >
    >
    >This product was created by StarLight Designs. The product is for Commercial use, but the product itself can not be resold - only product created USING THIS PRODUCT can be sold commercially.
    >
    >Do not make kits or sets containing only items created using my items.
    >
    >You can do make template with this items.
    >
    >Do not use any images for obscene, defamatory, or immoral works or any other purpose which is prohibited by law.
    >
    >Feel free to modify images (size, color, etc.) as necessary.
    >
    >Don't make commercial use products with my kits.
    >
    >
    >
    >YOU MAY:
    >
    >-Use these products in your photography, scrapbooking and/or design business to the extent listed below:
    >
    >-Create custom greeting cards, candy wrappers, layouts, invitations and other printed materials for your customers provided that they are finished pieces.
    >This means that you may sell items that are printed but you may not sell a download or cd of any kind.
    >
    >-You may use products incorporated into your designs to create scrapkits but may not be resold as a stand-alone product. You may not make brushes,
    >rub-ons, or include in a kit for redistribution.
    >
    >-You may use the graphics in your web design projects providing that proper credit is given on the website
    >All website design must be for family friendly websites only. No indecent websites will be tolerated.
    >We reserve the right to request this list at any time.
    >
    >
    >YOU MAY NOT:
    >
    >-Claim these graphics as your own either in their original state, or in an altered state.
    >
    >-Offer downloads of the kits/graphics in any way shape or form. Distribute these graphics in any format except for the uses defined above.
    >
    >-Unless noted for commercial use, you may not make into an alpha product
    >
    >-Print or have printed any of the original graphics, papers or kit pieces to sell in stores on websites or on ebay.
    >You cannot buy a kit and print pieces or papers from it and sell those in stores or online shops.

>
    >
    >Thank you for your purchase and your continued support!
    >You may contact me at ivonka-85r@o2.pl
    >
    >-Share these files with friends, family, etc. Please feel free to direct them to the store where you purchased your product.
    >
    >-Sell these graphics through any means in their purchased format.
    >
    >
4/6/2012 6:36:33

Deborah
TotalPost:204

>It wasn't you Cassie :)
    >
    >I'd rather not 'out' the person, I just hope she sees this and does the right thing. I had noticed in earlier months that she had used Scrapin Cops items and not provided credit as per her TOU.
    >
    >From scappin cops TOU:
    >
    >There is a credit requirement in the form of a link back to my site or mention of my resources in your credit document or TOU if you use my Commercial Use downloads.

>This designer has some very nice kits so I went looking around. It would appear that they have different term of use on different kits.
    Some say "CU, PU and S4H!. You can use them as part of your digital kits. "
    One would have to be very careful!

> http://www.scrappincop.com/
    >
    > But I let that go, because whatever. I'm not the digi police around here.
    >
    >But I was visiting this forum the other day and saw this thread and re-read it. (Hope I didn't come off as a you know what.) And I started thinking about the how so many of us to try to make original artwork - whether that's templates or making derivative designs from CU. And I totally understand the point made by the author of the thread - I really do. So when I looked at the kits being offered and saw that at least one had MANY items from a specific designer that were just put up without being changed at all, it really kind of made me angry. It's just not fair at all to many on this site especially to the Artscow designers who are making their own items from scratch, like the author of this thread.
    >
    >But as I said, I'm not the CU police. I was just hoping that the person in question would see this and do the right thing.
    >
    >Here is the CU designer who's work is being used 'as is'.
    >
    >http://www.shabbypickledesigns.com/boutique/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=91&sort=&sort_direction=&page=1
    >
    >And here's her Terms Of Use.
    >
    >Comercial Use by StarLight Designs
    >
    >This license is not intended for large businesses or re-distributors. A commercial license does not give you the right to use these products
    >in any way that you wish, please abide by all commercial licensing rules. Before you purchase a license please be sure to carefully read the
    >terms that you will be agreeing to. Thank you!
    >
    >--------------------
    >COMMERCIAL USE
    >--------------------
    >
    >
    >This product was created by StarLight Designs. The product is for Commercial use, but the product itself can not be resold - only product created USING THIS PRODUCT can be sold commercially.
    >
    >Do not make kits or sets containing only items created using my items.
    >
    >You can do make template with this items.
    >
    >Do not use any images for obscene, defamatory, or immoral works or any other purpose which is prohibited by law.
    >
    >Feel free to modify images (size, color, etc.) as necessary.
    >
    >Don't make commercial use products with my kits.
    >
    >
    >
    >YOU MAY:
    >
    >-Use these products in your photography, scrapbooking and/or design business to the extent listed below:
    >
    >-Create custom greeting cards, candy wrappers, layouts, invitations and other printed materials for your customers provided that they are finished pieces.
    >This means that you may sell items that are printed but you may not sell a download or cd of any kind.
    >
    >-You may use products incorporated into your designs to create scrapkits but may not be resold as a stand-alone product. You may not make brushes,
    >rub-ons, or include in a kit for redistribution.
    >
    >-You may use the graphics in your web design projects providing that proper credit is given on the website
    >All website design must be for family friendly websites only. No indecent websites will be tolerated.
    >We reserve the right to request this list at any time.
    >
    >
    >YOU MAY NOT:
    >
    >-Claim these graphics as your own either in their original state, or in an altered state.
    >
    >-Offer downloads of the kits/graphics in any way shape or form. Distribute these graphics in any format except for the uses defined above.
    >
    >-Unless noted for commercial use, you may not make into an alpha product
    >
    >-Print or have printed any of the original graphics, papers or kit pieces to sell in stores on websites or on ebay.
    >You cannot buy a kit and print pieces or papers from it and sell those in stores or online shops.

>
    >
    >Thank you for your purchase and your continued support!
    >You may contact me at ivonka-85r@o2.pl
    >
    >-Share these files with friends, family, etc. Please feel free to direct them to the store where you purchased your product.
    >
    >-Sell these graphics through any means in their purchased format.
    >
    >
4/6/2012 7:02:01

snackpackgu
RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:Clarification on what a designers own original artwork is please Reply

Yes, Starlight really does have some beautiful items. I'm so glad I was able to link while she had a sale :)

I also have bought from a few designers that say it's OK to use 'as is' no credit required but each designer is different and like you said, we all have to be sure to read their TOU before using someone's items.

>Well those TOU are pretty clear aren't they. I'd not heard of that designer before - I went and looked at the link and she has some lovely things. And there's a SALE! LOL
    >
    >I do have some purchased CU kits that allow me to use the designs 'as is' - it's why I bought them. They don't always need credit either. I guess it just re-affirms that before you upload something here to check those TOU's and make sure you're doing it right, as there are so many different types of CU requirements depending on the designer. :)
    >

4/6/2012 10:24:09

snackpackgu

Deborah,

Re scrappin cop: most of everything is free for personal use but if you use it for commercial use you have to buy a $20 lifetime license then you can use anything on her site but you must give credit back to her. Or it's $2.00 per kit for CU use if CU is allowed with that kit.

I would think that a credit line would fit in the description box of any kits that we put up since we can't include our own TOU or a credit's page when we upload our designer kits to Artscow. I did purchase a lifetime license from her long ago, but haven't used anything of her's for ages. When I did, I put a credit in my TOU.

I know it's confusing :(

>>From scappin cops TOU:
    >>
    >>There is a credit requirement in the form of a link back to my site or mention of my resources in your credit document or TOU if you use my Commercial Use downloads.

>>This designer has some very nice kits so I went looking around. It would appear that they have different term of use on different kits.
    >Some say "CU, PU and S4H!. You can use them as part of your digital kits. "
    >One would have to be very careful!

4/6/2012 10:34:24

PickleStar Scraps

Gosh I wasn't aware she'd changed her CU terms! I had some of her stuff from a long time ago before she changed it. Now that I know the rules have changed I'll work on keeping up with her TOU.

>Deborah,
    >
    >Re scrappin cop: most of everything is free for personal use but if you use it for commercial use you have to buy a $20 lifetime license then you can use anything on her site but you must give credit back to her. Or it's $2.00 per kit for CU use if CU is allowed with that kit.
    >
    >I would think that a credit line would fit in the description box of any kits that we put up since we can't include our own TOU or a credit's page when we upload our designer kits to Artscow. I did purchase a lifetime license from her long ago, but haven't used anything of her's for ages. When I did, I put a credit in my TOU.
    >
    >I know it's confusing :(
    >
    >
    >>>From scappin cops TOU:
    >>>
    >>>There is a credit requirement in the form of a link back to my site or mention of my resources in your credit document or TOU if you use my Commercial Use downloads.

>>>This designer has some very nice kits so I went looking around. It would appear that they have different term of use on different kits.
    >>Some say "CU, PU and S4H!. You can use them as part of your digital kits. "
    >>One would have to be very careful!
    >
4/6/2012 10:50:46

snackpackgu

>Gosh I wasn't aware she'd changed her CU terms! I had some of her stuff from a long time ago before she changed it. Now that I know the rules have changed I'll work on keeping up with her TOU.

Cassie, I think you might be OK if you downloaded the items before she changed her TOU. Here's what she said about it on 10/12/2009:

http://www.scrappincop.com/2008/05/favorites.html

I realize that thousands of my CU freebies were downloaded prior to this requirement. I don't expect that designers will purchase a CU license for those prior items but if you are creating a new product after reading this, use your conscience. I am not so disillusioned to think that all designers will pay for a CU license for current or future freebies they will use for Commercial Use. I am relying on the "honor system" and hope this will restore my faith in the digiscrap community. I want to continue to give my items as freebies to those who will appreciate and use them. However I also felt that I was being taken advantage of by many designers claiming my freebies as their own creations and not providing credit where it was due. Chances are good that I would never find out if you don't pay for a license. However, I will maintain a database of those who do.

Cassie - I'm sending you a pm :)

4/6/2012 19:26:04

gaga
TotalPost:57

Hi Cassie, how did this worked out for you? I have heard about this issue before but didn't know on how it turned out?
    Photo Designing Newbie
10/6/2012 0:10:41

PickleStar Scraps

>
    >Cassie - I'm sending you a pm :)

Replied. :)
10/6/2012 8:41:07

PickleStar Scraps

>Hi Cassie, how did this worked out for you? I have heard about this issue before but didn't know on how it turned out?

I'm not sure what you mean?
10/6/2012 8:41:29
Page 1 of 1, Total 20 1